stmux
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: ja

Backup Physical Computers Over LAN

Post by stmux »

Veeam Backup 9.5.4.2866
Windows 7 & 10 Physical Servers and Workstations

Currently we backup only VM servers with Veeam Backup. Our physical servers and workstations are backed up using Acronis Backup to local, line powered external hard drives controlled by timers that allow backup to the hard drives within the window of time set by the timer. Most are set for a 1 hour window which results in the backup drives being offline for 23 hours per day. This has been done to minimize ransomware threats.

My question is, can we do the same with Veeam Backup and eliminate the use of two backup systems? This would require Veeam Backup to backup each job to the local computer's external backup hard drive. We do not want a single point of failure as in the backup servers repository that is used for the VMs.

Thank you,
mux
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Re: Backup Physical Computers Over LAN

Post by MichaelCade »

Yes this is possible - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=30

you can see the centralised management and job target options in the image below.

Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Stmux,

Could you please let us know how do you turn off the backup drives? Is it done within backup jobs or using some native/3rd-party tools?

In general, we support backup to local drives within a required schedule.

Also, your Agent jobs can be managed by a backup server to simplify deployment and management of Agents.

Thanks
stmux
Enthusiast

Post by stmux »

The external USB hard drives are line powered and we use an Intermatic DT122K timer which has a 7 day capability with auto DST adjustment. The timer is set to turn on at a programmed time on programmed days. We currently set that "ON" window for 1 hour for our differential backups that generally run between 15 and 40 minutes. Then, we set the backup schedule to start 5 minutes after the hard drives come online. At the end of the hour the timer shuts the hard drives off.
mux
stmux
Enthusiast

Post by stmux »

Thank you Michael for the info and link.
stmux
Enthusiast

Post by stmux »

I got the Microsoft Agent working and backing up to a local USB hard drive. I made a Full and one Incremental. I tested a restore of both and get a Can not read block LZ4 error and the laptop will not boot. I was able to restore an Acronis image from the same USB hard drive so I don't think the hard drive is bad. What could cause this error?
Thanks,
mux
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Storage level corruption might cause this issue (the ability to restore other files don't contradict this, as the files might reside in unaffected sector).

For further investigation reach our support team.

Thanks!