Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jbdoty
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Doty

Backup Recovery from Backup Copy over a year old

Post by jbdoty »

We do backup copies to Rotating HD after backing up to our Veeam Servers. I need to restore some files from like a year ago that we have on disk. I created a separate backup repository connection to another computer (External USB). I point Veeam at the repository and tell it to import existing backups automatically, but nothing shows up. I did this once before, but the backups were only a couple of months old. What am I doing wrong?

Vladimir responded on Spiceworks PM with:
Hi, Jeff,

Do the backups stored on that media have .vbm along with them? I'm wondering because during repository rescan only backups with metadata present are automatically imported.

Those that don't have metadata at hand should be imported manually. Have you tried that already?

If that doesn't help, 'd also appreciate if we switch the discussion from PM to our community forums.

http://forums.veeam.com

I spent most of my time on Veeam forums, and both myself and my colleagues will be able to provide you with more thorough answers there. I only check SpiceWorks community and personal messages occasionally.

Thanks.
My response back is:
Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for responding. There is no .vbm file, so I guess that explains it. So how do I manually import the backups?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Recovery from Backup Copy over a year old

Post by foggy »

Hi Jeff, welcome to the forums. Please review this step-by-step instruction for importing backups manually. Thanks.
jbdoty
Novice

Post by jbdoty »

Hi Foggy,

Ok, great. I looked at the "Book of Instructions" and I can't get the server (PC Actually) to import as indicated. This PC is a backup repository and has the Veeam installer service running. The Veeam FW exception shows in the Firewall, but it keeps failing the Add server process. Also the RPC service is running, File and Printer sharing is enabled and the FW ports for that are open. Below is the error:

Code: Select all

[IT-A-1] Failed to check whether remote installer service is available. 
The RPC server is unavailable
RPC function call failed.  Function name:[GetSvcVersion].  Target
machine: [xx.xx.xx.24].
This is a Windows 7 Enterprise PC.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Does this repository have Veeam B&R components of the same version as the console you're trying to add it to? You can try to manually remove components from that server and try to re-add it from Veeam B&R UI.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Jeff,

Glad to see that you've registered on our forums.

As to the issue, apart from what Alexander's suggested try to restart RPC service on target machine (I know it's lame, but sometimes it helps to solve sporadic RPC problems). Also, I'd would turn off FW temporarily (if possible) just to allow adding wizard to pass.

Thanks.
jbdoty
Novice

Post by jbdoty »

Hi
I am getting the following error when I try to “Add Server” process:

The network path was not found.
--tr:Failed to create persistent connection to ADMIN$ shared folder on host [xx.xx.xx.xx].
--tr:Failed to install service [VeeamDeploymentService] was not installed on the host [xx.xx.xx.xx].

The thing is I mapped the Admin share from the Veeam server with the credentials I used in the “Add Server” process. So I am not sure what is happening. Oh, yes I disable the AV just to make sure that was not interfering.
Also the VeeamDeploymentService is installed and running on the system. There is a FW exception for this service as well. So….what is next guys?

BTW this is actually a Windows 7 Ent machine that I am trying to add, not a “Server”. But it is already a backup repository and I have restored files from more recent backups.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What about the question raised by Alexander about components' and backup console versions? Have you tried to remove components manually and re-add the server? If that doesn't help, feel free to reach our support team. Thanks.
jbdoty
Novice

Post by jbdoty »

I just tried removing the Veeam installer service and then ran the Add Server wizard again and it barfed with The RPC Server is unavailable, the same error as I reported in my response to Foggy. This is really annoying.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Jeff, feel free to open a case so that our engineers could take a closer look at your setup via a short webex session and perform logs review, if required.