Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GM-1
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Giuseppe Mangogna

Backup SQL Simple recovery mode and mixed recovery modes

Post by GM-1 »

Hello

I was looking the configurations about the Backup of SQL and I have a couple of questions:
----------------------------
First question:
If I have a SQL in simple recovery model I have to:
Check - Guest processing --> Select - Process Transaction logs with this job --> Select - Do not truncate logs

In this way on the SQL server there is a message saying that a full backup has been done but I have not a .back file.
To have the .back file I have to produce it with the SQL explorer

Now what would it happen if I selected: Perform copy only (lets another application use logs)
I think that there should not be difference to the previous method. I should be able to recover the .bak from SQL explorer.
Is this correct?

--------------------------------
Second question:
I have a SQL server with several databases; some in Simple Recovery Model and some in Full Recovery Model

I was asking myself what it could be a good way to configure the backup.
Is it better to make different jobs where in some jobs I exclude some databases and in the other I exclude other databases?
Or there are better ways?

Best Regards
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup SQL Simple recovery mode and mixed recovery modes

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Q1: There are vbk (full backup), vib (incremental backu) and vlb (log backup) files with Veeam. There is never a .bak file with Veeam. But you can recover - just try it out ;-)

Q2: logs must be truncated for full recovery model databases. Otherwise the server will run out of disk space. If you want point-in-time recovery, then log shipping needs to be activated. Even with full and simple recovery model, the backup job works fine for me with the default settings. So default settings is what I recommend to start with.

Please remember that Veeam is image-based / VM-based. Not File-based.

Best regards,
Hannes
GM-1
Influencer

Post by GM-1 »

Hello HannesK
I understand my question was not done properly; so I will make it in a different way;

First of all when I talk of .back files:
About the .back file, I know it is not a Veeam extension; it is only the file that "Microsoft SQL Management studio" creates when it makes an SQL backup.
When Veeam makes a backup of the entire SQL server; it does not create anywhere these files; but when we want to restore a single database with "Veeam SQL explorer" we can get it

My problem is that I have to configure the backup of some SQL servers; so I would like to understand the effect of each option.

Q1
What I have understood is that:
When the databases are in "Simple recovery model" then if I select:
-- Perform copy only (lets another job application use logs)
Or
-- Process transaction logs with this job(recommended)
Using any of the following: "Truncate logs" or "Do not truncate logs" or "Backup logs periodically"

For what I have understood the result should be exactly the same.
Is that true?
If it is not true what are the differences?
-----------------------

Q2
If the answer to Q1 is that there is no difference with any of the options; then in a mixed environment (a server with databases both in "Simple recovery model" and "Full recovery model" then I have only to care about configuring the backup for the "Full recovery model" databases because in any case the databases with "simple recovery models" are backed up correctly.

If there are differences then I have to choose other configurations (please suggest me)

------------------
When you say:
Please remember that Veeam is image-based / VM-based. Not File-based.

It is true but when I make an application aware backup; then I have an agent that does things inside the server; as it were a DBA doing things.
At the beginning I was thinking that the agent was creating a .back file inside the server; but this is not the case.
What I see is that it creates an entry in the logs with
-- Backupname "Veeam Backup and Replication"
-- and the file is saved in a virtula device (Device type 7)

I hope I have explained my point in a better way
Thank you and Best regards
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, SQL management studio creates .bak files. Veeam does not create any .bak files :-)
but when we want to restore a single database with "Veeam SQL explorer" we can get it
not sure what that means. Single database restore "just works". No need for .bak files or SQL management studio. Please check out Veeam Explorer for SQL capabilities.

Q1: It just works :-) No matter what you select. I have the same setup in my environment. If it does not work for you, what is your support case number?
Q2: It just works :-) please see my answer above. Log truncation must be enabled to avoid running out of disk space.
then I have an agent that does things inside the server;
which backup software are you using inside the VM? Veeam does not have a SQL agent / VDI plugin today. If you installed the Veeam Agent for Windows inside the VM, please remove it. That makes no sense. Veeam is agentless per default.

Best regards,
Hannes
GM-1
Influencer

Post by GM-1 »

Thank you Hannes
Everything ok now