Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
QueueAK
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Culley

Backup Strategy - NAS and Rotating USB Possible?

Post by QueueAK »

One of my customers wants to have a manually rotated USB drive rather than a cloud backup since those are not in his control. Paranoia over who controls his data and his clients data maybe, but there is some logic to it.

Anyway. Originally I was planning to have Veeam backup to a NAS and then replicate to Wasabi for offsite. Without creating two separate backup jobs, is it possible to backup to a NAS and then to one of several USB drive which rotate offsite via sneakernet?

My idea is that way we have large long term backup storage on the NAS with lots of storage for months and a weekly rotation offsite via USB. Is this viable?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Strategy - NAS and Rotating USB Possible?

Post by veremin »

One job cannot write to two targets, so, you will have to create two separate jobs with different retention policies. Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Looks like one more option would be to leverage backup copy and point it to the offsite repository.

Thanks!
QueueAK
Lurker
Full Name: Culley

Post by QueueAK »

Backup Copy, I've seen a bit of info on this while looking this afternoon. Does that essentially copy an existing backup to another repository without having to create an entire job?
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

HI Culley,

Backup Copy job will copy your backups to a secondary location.
You can get more information about Backup copy jobs here.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 2 people like this post

Basically, it is another type of job that doesn't touch production VMs but uses your primary repository (NAS in your case) as a data source. It can be pointed to a secondary repository backed up by rotated drives to fulfill your offsite backup requirement.
adriano.giorgini
Service Provider
Full Name: Adriano Giorgini

Post by adriano.giorgini »

Hi Foggy,

We use the NAS copy function to direct copy Veeam backup files to USB disk for external rotation, but only outside backup windows.
If forever incremental is enable, is possible copy only the last modified file, so the copy on the USB external disk is always the last full backup.

Regards.
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

Post by agrob »

Hi

I also use the NAS copy to USB Disc functionality. This works fine and with good performance. Most NAS also offer notification if the copy to usb job was running or not. Performance with veeam Backup Copy to USB is way to slow because veeam handels it differs and does not "just copy" the files.

Best Regards
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

Post by zoltank » 1 person likes this post

Look into tape instead of USB. It's more durable, has massive capacity, and is very easy to air gap.

Veeam also has built in tape support.
Nick-SAC
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Nick

Post by Nick-SAC »

Tape undoubtedly has the Capacity and Air-Gap advantages but I don’t understand how it could be considered to be ‘more durable’.

I wish I had a dollar for every bad/broken/unreadable Tape Cartridge I’ve thrown out over the years... Oh Wait, I do! :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Reliability in terms of URE (Unrecoverable Read Error) is up to 1000 times better for LTO tape media comparing to spinning drives (depends on the type). It's hard to see though, because hard drives would happily and quietly return you bad data in the same situation where tape would fail to read due to a checksum error.

And if you mean reliability as a rotated media, then spinning drives are definitely much more fragile. Even when they sit in a rack, on average 2% fail within a year, usually due to vibrations. But, once you start transporting them... it gets much worse. This is specifically where tape shines!