Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dannyb-kcgm
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Bates

Backup Tags and Surebackup Restores

Post by dannyb-kcgm »

Righto, a little background
App: VBR 10 Enterprise (on physical server)
VMware: 6.7 hosts
vCentre: 6.7 (100 or so VMs)
Scale-Out Rep: 200TB
Tape: IBM TS4300 LTO8
Backup Jobs: Based on Tags, Prod and Dev.

So, we are migrating across from Backup Exec 16, and I am testing as much as possible before going live.
All VMs are in folders based on OS, Prod or Dev in vCentre, and tags are applied to those folders.
At the current point in time I am only backing up Dev for testing purposes on Veeam.
Backups are working fine and are successful.
Please note: I will not go live until I am confident that all backup/restore testing is 100% correct.

I created a Virtual Lab, and created a Surebackup job.
First problem, I can only link jobs and not individual VMs to restore test. Does this mean I need to create separate backup jobs (for example SQL) if I want to test only SQL restore VMs in the Lab?

My end goal: I want to satisfy myself and management with successful restore testing of the following
Restore Full VM
Restore SQL Database
Restore SharePoint object
Restore AD Object
Restore Exchange Object.

Question: Should I be looking at separate backup jobs for the VMs I want to test?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Backup Tags and Surebackup Restores

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

"Linked Jobs" step of SureBackup is meant to automate entire Backup Job results verification. You can define Application Groups(previous step) and run only required VMs within the lab without any link to backup job they are created with. You can have 1 backup job to protect multiple servers and run SureBackup to verify just N of them.
/Cheers!