Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Backup up B&R SQL

Post by ejenner »

Hi guys,

Anyone know what permissions are required to backup the B&R SQL database assuming default settings were accepted during installation?

I have a job for backing up the SQL and it fails on permissions.
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Backup up B&R SQL

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi,

The required permissions are listed in this guide (Performing Guest Processing section).

Thanks!
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

That's just the default advice for any SQL server? You would've thought the administrator account used to install Veeam B&R would automatically have rights to back it up... but I don't think it does... so you have to grant those rights somehow. Does that involve SQL Management Studio or is there an easier way to grant the backup account the necessary rights?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Veeam B&R database does not differ from any other SQL database from AAIP perspective so the default set of permissions is enough to backup Veeam B&R database.

The best option is to open the support case so that our engineers can review debug logs and explain the behavior. Please don't forget to paste case id over here for our reference.

By the way, you may take a look at this article, there are some useful suggestions.

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if you want to have something useful in the end, then I recommend using the built-in configuration backup.

Because otherwise all passwords will be not recoverable on the machine where you restore the database (because the passwords are encrypted with the machine key)... https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Best regards,
Hannes
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

I already backup the configuration using the built-in config backup. But there is advice in places which suggest backing up the SQL as well. I have a separate record of passwords so having to replace those when required isn't an issue. I can look up separately how to grant the sysadmin role to SQL Express and I think that'll solve the problem.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

No doubts that the configuration backup is the best way to protect VeeamBackup database. It makes sense to backup the whole SQL server if there are another databases beside VeeamBackup.

By the way, the encryption issue can happen only when the machine key of backup server is changed, in other words when you move the backup server, please find more information in this KB.

Thanks!
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner » 1 person likes this post

For anybody who has this problem in the future... it's actually an old problem. The default timeout set in Veeam is too low and it gives up too early in some cases.

You can increase the timeout by adding registry keys: https://richardstk.com/2018/11/20/sql-s ... ion-fails/

6 values to add in total, two locations listed below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication\

Name: SqlExecTimeout
Type: DWORD
Value: 600

Name: SqlLogBackupTimeout
Value: 3600

Name: SqlConnectionTimeout
Value: 300