Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Talaljavaid
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Talal Javaid

Backup vbk and vim files

Post by Talaljavaid »

Dear All,
I have never used Veeam , so pls consider myself as newbee, I got some backup files from client which are in VIM and VBK format. google told me that they are veeam backukp file. and little of what i understand that i need to install Veeam Backup & Replication software to extract files from that. so i install Veeam Backup & Replication 10. opened the software, it asked to connect. i click connect with the default what ever written there. and it opened

once it opened, i tried to import backup. choose vbk file from my external hd. pressed ok, it asked me to choose credential. now i don't know what credential it required.
Does that mean some password was applied when backup is done means this vbk file is some kind of password protected or its some thing else
can some one guide me how can i just extract/get files from vbk files in the easiest ways. I just need to get data from it. where data is just pst.pdf. msoffice kind of files

Regards,
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Backup vbk and vim files

Post by wishr »

Hi Talal,

First of all, welcome to Veeam Community Forums.

Most likely, your backup files are encrypted, thus you have to supply a password in order to get the data extracted. An alternative way of performing the restore workflow that is explained here.

Thanks
Talaljavaid
Novice

Post by Talaljavaid »

Thanks , I checked with the client, they said there was no password . looks like i am doing some thing wrong. so can you please send me some link to walk-through. or some baby step by step instruction to get data from vbk file which is in external hardrive. I just installed Veeam Backup & Replication 10. to my personal stand alone laptop. it is not connected with any network or server, just internet is available. Now from there how can i load vbk file in veeam Veeam Backup & Replication 10.and get data.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Talal,

Here you go.

Thanks
Talaljavaid
Novice

Post by Talaljavaid »

Thanks you so much for the quick help. i went to link followed the instruction. and was the same what i was doing, i am attaching every step screen shot below

1. First click desktop icon i get this

2. Then i connect and click to import backup i get this import backup window to browse vbk file as below

3. when i click browse to navigate files. i do have vbm , vbk, and vib all files in a same folder. according to below screen shot , here i choose vbk files , but if i use vbm. result is same.

4. after selecting vbk file and click ok. it gives me a window for credential. as below

now what it could be ?. i click to the link of manage account . it opens an other window for manage credential . i tried just some random password. of course non worked. now here i have no idea what type of credential it requires. the owner of vbk files said no password protected. i put few server userid and password that they had. it didn't worked it give this error as below

Do you have any idea what credential its asking , their server or what.

Thanks for the help
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Talal,

Thank you for the details! You need to type in the password used for this backup as an encryption password. You can check with your client what encryption password was used and use it when prompted. Cheers!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

@Dima P. according to the screenshot above, the UI is not asking him for a backup encryption password, but rather for credentials to connect to a share where backup files reside. Credentials Manager and Password Manager are two different dialogs, and above we can clearly see the request for credentials (not for a password), and then Credentials Manager displayed when he clicks Add.

@Talaljavaid it might be easier for you to just copy backup files locally to the computer where Veeam console is installed. Otherwise, you will need to figure out credentials to the \\MainBKP file share with its admins, then create and select the corresponding set of credentials in Veeam.