Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hyvokar
Veteran
Liked: 29 times

Backups fail after disabling SMB v1

Post by hyvokar »

Hi!

Yesterday I disabled SMB v1 on my backup server, and all the VMs that are being backed up.
After that all my windows server VM backups has failed.

Code: Select all

Processing exchange-vm Error: Exception of type 'Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException' was thrown.
Processing vcsa Error: The RPC server is unavailable. RPC function call failed. Function name: [InvokerTestConnection]. Target machine: [192.168.xxx.xxx].
Processing fileserver-vm Error: Exception of type 'Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException' was thrown.
Processing deployment-vm Error: Exception of type 'Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException' was thrown.
Processing dc1 Error: Access is denied. RPC function call failed. Function name: [InvokerTestConnection]. Target machine: [192.168.xxx,xxx].
Processing printserver Error: The RPC server is unavailable. RPC function call failed. Function name: [InvokerTestConnection]. Target machine: [192.168.xxx.xxx].
Processing dc Error: Exception of type 'Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException' was thrown.
Processing terminalserver Error: Exception of type 'Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException' was thrown.
Processing win7rdp Error: Exception of type 'Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException' was thrown.
Processing qlikserver Error: Access is denied. RPC function call failed. Function name: [InvokerTestConnection]. Target machine: [192.168.xxx.xxx].
Processing veeamone-monitoring Error: Exception of type 'Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException' was thrown.
Processing sqlserver Error: Access is denied. RPC function call failed. Function name: [InvokerTestConnection]. Target machine: [192.168.xxx.xxx].
Processing slaveserver Error: Exception of type 'Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException' was thrown.
192.168.xxx.xxx = proxy, win7 vm

failed machines are win7, win 2008, win2008r2, win 2012r2, win 2016

Any ideas?
Bed?! Beds for sleepy people! Lets get a kebab and go to a disco!
MS MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
hyvokar
Veteran

Re: Backups fail after disabling SMB v1

Post by hyvokar »

I think I found the reason ; proxy1 (win7) had smb v1 still enabled, disabled it and rebooted. Proxy2 (2012r2), had smb v1 feature removed and server was rebooted - but not logged in after. I guess it was not somehow completely removed before logigng in again.

Backups seems to be working now.

I have no idea why this prenvented backing up, I dont think veeam uses smb v1 ..
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
hyvokar
Veteran

Post by hyvokar »

Hmmh... nope, backups failing again :-( same reason
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi hyvokar,

Are you running these hosts in backup job with application aware image processing enabled? Double check if you can access admin share of these hosts from backup server.
hyvokar
Veteran

Post by hyvokar »

Hi!

Yes I am. Double checked that, and it's working. It seems that backups are failing very randomly. Some VMs can be backed up with multiple retries.
Also linux VMs are affected

Case # 02861903
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE