Backups to Synology NAS

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Backups to Synology NAS

Veeam Logoby Regnor » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:06 pm

Good news from Synology:
They did setup Veeam with a Synology NAS and NFS transport mode and were able to successfully backup a VM.
Now the bad news is, that there's an incompability with the ARM based models as the Veeam perl script is loading a x86 binary.

So x86 yeah, ARM no...
Regnor
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 21 times

[MERGED] : Design question regarding Synology NAS backup tar

Veeam Logoby geordi » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:59 am

Hi together

At the moment we are using Synology NAS boxes for storing our backups via CIFS.
As mentioned by Gostev in his Digest, there is a way to directly run the data mover on this boxes. Is there anybody out there who can give me some hints regarding that?

Currently we have to deal with the situation that our synthetic full backups are taking some time due to the fact that we are using CIFS where all the traffic is going over LAN from the backup proxy.
What needs to be done to run that directly on the Synology NAS?

Regards,
Michael
geordi
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Berger

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:05 am

Hi, Michael,

Your post has been merged into existing discussion, so, kindly, check the answers provided above.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1006 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

[MERGED] How to configure Synology RS815+ as a Veeam Proxy

Veeam Logoby pdath » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:52 am 2 people like this post

I have recently been configuring a Synology RS815+ as a "Linux Repository" for Veeam. I found considerable information on Google that advised on doing a lot of things, especially making edits to the config onboard the NAS - that are completely unneeded.

To get it going this is all I had to do. From the Synology NAS web interface:
* Control Panel/Terminal & SNMP: Enable SSH
* Click on "Advanced Settings" and change the cipher strength to "Low" (Veeam doesn't support even the medium strength ciphers).
* Control Panel/File Services/FTP: Enable sFTP.
* Control Panel/User/Advanced: Enable the user home service.
* Control Panel/Shared Folder. Create a shared folder and grant "admin" access to it.
* Package Centre: Search for Perl. It will be listed under "Third Party". Click install.

Then in Veeam when you add the NAS, specify the IP address, tell it to login with the "admin" account. DO NOT select to use an elevated account, use sudo, or anything else. The "admin" account has access to everything it needs without any extra permissions.

Make sure when you select the directory in Veeam you select the same directory you created under "Control Panel/File Services" - the one that you granted "admin" access to.

Voila, everything is now working.
pdath
Novice

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Philip D'Ath

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:12 am

Philip, thanks for sharing, much appreciated! However, I admit this could depend on the device model/firmware, so might not be a solution applicable for all cases.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby NightBird » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:09 am

A backup repository need 4GB of ram plus 4GB per concurrent job.

How do you meet this minimum requirement with this kind of nas ?
NightBird
Service Provider

Liked: 20 times

Veeam Logoby pdath » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:31 pm

The RS815+ comes with 2GB of RAM. I bought an extra 4GB of Kingston memory for $25, taking it to 6GB. I only tested it with 6GB of RAM installed. Because maxing out the RAM only cost $25 it seemed crazy not to max it out straight away.
pdath
Novice

Veeam Logoby pdath » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:32 pm

foggy wrote:Philip, thanks for sharing, much appreciated! However, I admit this could depend on the device model/firmware, so might not be a solution applicable for all cases.

I think as long as you are running an x86 version and have an up to date DSM I don't see why it wouldn't work.
pdath
Novice

Veeam Logoby ITP-Stan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:26 am

Lots of the 2bay and 4bay Synology devices are ARM models.
The RAM requirement described is for backup proxy, that's not the same as backup data mover.
ITP-Stan
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:09 pm 1 person likes this post

foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby B.F. » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:41 pm

We are also looking at Synology as a way to store VM backups offsite. I am a little confused by some of the terminology on this thread and was hoping for clarification. Data Mover I've seen in reference to Exagrid and also the Data Mover Service that is installed on the Veeam server and Veeam proxies. If the offsite location already has a proxy, would this "Data Mover" still need to be installed on Synology?

Is Synology even a good solution for offsite backups?

If it is, what models are recommended? It seems that being able to setup the Synology as a Linux Repository is the best method?

Thanks for the info!
B.F.
Expert

Liked: 6 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:55 pm

Depending on the repository type used, data mover is installed either on the Synology itself (Linux repository, preferred) or the proxy/gateway server connected to it (CIFS/NFS).
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby B.F. » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:11 pm

Based on your response on the memory requirements, RS815+ is not a good choice as a Linux Repository?
B.F.
Expert

Liked: 6 times

Veeam Logoby Zew » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:39 pm

Just to note to others I've been using a Synology NAS for a cold site backup repo for a while. Works great.

HOWEVER, I do not directly manage the NAS as a managed server as Veeam sees it. instead I created a VM at my cold site to run Debian, (adjustable memory and other great VM stuff), with a NFS based connection from it to my NAS.

(Work) (Cold Site)
[SSH] --------------------------------------------------------------[SSH] [NFS] --------------------------------------[NFS]
Veeam ----(fw)---- (IP sec tunnel) ------(fw)-------- Debian managed server ----------[NFS]----------- Synolgy NAS

I haven't had a issue, besides once when I realized I provided to little RAM to my managed server (Debian) since its a VM I upped it easy enough.
Zew
Expert

Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:50 am

B.F. wrote:Based on your response on the memory requirements, RS815+ is not a good choice as a Linux Repository?

Correct, the approach described in the post above is more preferred in this case.
foggy
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication