Backups to Synology NAS

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Backups to Synology NAS

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:40 pm

Hi Jason, just to make sure I understand this request - do you suggest supporting containers or have native support for Synology as a backup repository?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1099 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Regnor » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:19 am

Is anyone currently using a Synology NAS as a NFS Backup Repository with the current Veeam and Synology versions?
I'm also experiencing the following error and wondered where it was introduced: [AP] (Client) error: /tmp/VeeamAgent7df2d6b6-dbb5-4de1-9408-922134962de3: line 1: syntax error: unexpected "("
(mentioned here: veeam-backup-replication-f2/veeam-b-r-8-ad-synology-ds215j-repository-only-as-smb-t28772.html)
Regnor
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 21 times

Veeam Logoby Regnor » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:41 am

Any update on this?
Is everyone using the Synology NAS as a SMB repository or do you use a device from a different vendor?
Regnor
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby jimbo_wa » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:48 am

We're using Synology in a couple of different ways with Veeam:

Local small office sites using ESXi (v5.1U3) host with a VM that's hosted on a Synology (RS2212RP+ or RS2414RP+) NFS data store linked via 2x1GB links for our local Veeam backup
    DC centralised Windows 2012R2 servers and iSCSI LUNs on a RS3614xs+ and trays connected via 10GB for Backup Copy jobs from all the smaller offices

No SMB at all I'm afraid.
jimbo_wa
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby ITP-Stan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:19 am

We mostly use the Synology as SMB repository or iSCSI to the windows backup server. Never as a proxy or datamover.
For replica's (and very rarely backups) we sometimes use NFS or iSCSI to ESXi host, to create a VMWare datastore on the Synology.
ITP-Stan
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Veeam Logoby Kraken » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:33 pm

I followed the guide for adding Synology NAS (RS812 with latest DSM) as a Linux server/repository (intended as a target for Backup Copy job - secondary location). I was able to add the server, Veeam is able to log in with provided credentials (root), but repository rescan (or attempt to set it up as a Target for Backup Copy job) fails with the following message:

Failed to synchronize <sitename> Details: Timeout to start agent

On NAS itself I can see incoming traffic (uploading tarball) but nothing happens and I found no error messages in NAS logs.

I ran out of ideas :?

(Veeam Backup&Replication 8.0.0.2084)
Kraken
Influencer

Full Name: Jaroslav Haken

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:24 pm

Yes, currently there are some issues with adding Synology box as a Linux server to the Veeam backup console, so you should be using any distribution of Linux and mount your NAS to this server. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1099 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Regnor » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:08 pm

@Kraken: I'm afraid that it won't work. I've also tried everything but couldn't get it to work. Perhaps we should contact Synology because they write that they support Veeam(at least v7).
https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/faq/352
I thought about iSCSI but this would mean less performance and also more complexity.

Offtopic: I hope that Veeam will some time in the future release a standalone Veeam appliance based on Linux which handles proxy, transport and such. ;)
Regnor
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:11 am

I thought about iSCSI but this would mean less performance and also more complexity

Just out of curiosity - do you get decreased performance in cases when the given device is attached to Windows machine via ISCSI? Speaking about complexity, isn't it just a matter of connecting via ISCSI the said NAS to whatever Windows machine you happens to have in secondary location?
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Regnor » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:39 am

From my experience especially the smaller Synology boxes have decreased performance when using iSCSI compared to using NFS.
Yeah it isn't that complex, but using NFS and SMB is still easier ;)
Regnor
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby ITP-Stan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:39 pm

You can use SMB with Synology fine, as long as you don't try to use the Synology as a linux target. Just configure an SMB repository.
ITP-Stan
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Veeam Logoby sbbots » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:53 pm

ITP-Stan wrote:You can use SMB with Synology fine, as long as you don't try to use the Synology as a linux target. Just configure an SMB repository.

Amen.

SMB works fine for us on several Synology DS412+ boxes over 1GB. I get almost identical performance/throughput as I do with iSCSI (although mostly likely a limitation of the Synology than the protocols).
sbbots
Enthusiast

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Matt B

Veeam Logoby Kraken » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:21 am

Finally I used Synology as NAS attached storage. The point in this is the fact, that this storage is actually the offsite one (as a Backup Copy target) - connected by OpenVPN originated on Synology itself to site where backups take place. Yes I know this is not a recommended way, but it's the start point.

Also... has anyone any experience on Backup Copy to offsite location over asymmetric connection (like high write, but slow read speed)? Unfortunately, there is only the storage on other side (so no WAN accelerator or Backup Proxy server) - currently the best solution seems to be make a Backup Copy to local storage and then use script (using ie. robocopy /mirror) to make a "just write it there" copy to remote location. It's not an ideal way, but currently I don't know about any better (eg. "Veeam native" ones).
Kraken
Influencer

Full Name: Jaroslav Haken

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:27 am

Seems you understand all the cons of such setup, including the fact that backup copy synthetic activity will happen over the network (unless you were able to add the NAS as a Linux backup repository).
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1078 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Regnor » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:16 pm

Hello everyone!
I've contacted Synology support and they're unware of any problems regarding NFS and Veeam.
Unfortunatly I'm not able to setup a lab at the moment, so I can't provide them any logs.

So I wanted to ask, if someone here in the community with the same NFS problems could open a case at Synology and provide them the necessary logs?
Please reference Ticket #683506.

Regnor
Veeam ProPartner

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication