Backups to Synology NAS

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Backups to Synology NAS

Veeam Logoby B.F. » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:36 pm

Do all the methods mentioned perform about the same? We are a Windows shop. If we don't use the Synology as a Linux Repository, we would need to use an onsite proxy to an SMB on the Synology correct?

Looking at the product list, it looks like the first NAS they have that covers the Linux Repository requirements is the DS3615XS?

Thanks
B.F.
Expert

Liked: 6 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:49 pm

B.F. wrote:Do all the methods mentioned perform about the same? We are a Windows shop. If we don't use the Synology as a Linux Repository, we would need to use an onsite proxy to an SMB on the Synology correct?

Correct. Both approaches do the same, just different components involved.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Calebpaine » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:25 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to add a synology DS1815+ as storage. I've sucesfully added it as a linux server, but whenever I specify it as a storage location for a copy job, it fails stating there isn't enough space left. Check the Veeam software seems to show about 1.5gb of free space, whereas the Synology interface (and CIFS mount points on my workstation) report ~3tb+ free.

I looked back through this thread and only saw a couple of other mentions of of a similar issue, but it was a for a *much* older version of the synology OS. Does anyone know how to had a Synology NAS as a storage location using DMS 6?
Calebpaine
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Caleb

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:16 am

What do you refer to by "storage location"? Backup repository? Just for the purpose of sheer testing - can you mount it to some linux-based server and add that server to a backup console as a backup repository? Will the existing issue re-occur? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1002 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Calebpaine » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:40 pm

I'm not 100% certain I'm using the correct terminology, since what I see in the free edition looks different than what most people seem to be talking about (but appears if I "turn off" the free interface).

This gallery should explain better I think: http://imgur.com/a/MMe7b

The folder on the synology is available to the veeam server (my workstation while I test/evaluate it) by both NFS & CIFS, yet the only way I can seem to interface with it is via SFTP/SSH. There is no NFS or SMB/CIFS option that I can see.
Calebpaine
Novice

Full Name: Caleb

Veeam Logoby al_wearne » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:45 am

Veeam B&R to 4 x Synology DS412+ via iSCSI MPIO ?? - Looking for advice here please. We're a small not for profit community health organisation & a small IT team. We are a VMware & Veeam shop predominately Windows with a few Linux boxes. I have built a Windows 2012 R2 server (HP DL 360 G7, 24 GB RAM, 4 x NC382i 1Gbps NICs) for testing purposes as our current solution is too old & slow. I have 4 x Synology DS412+ NAS devices (each has 2 x 1 Gbps NICs & 4 x Seagate Constellation 1.8 TB HDDs, yielding 5.44 TB RAID5 block level storage) available for testing. We have HP A5120 switches on the LAN where the storage resides. So anyway, as a test I have installed Veeam 9 (Build 1715) and configured iSCSI MPIO on the Windows 2012 R2 server (finding that the Least Queue Depth policy achieved an average processing rate of 85 MB/sec for a test 340 GB SQL server - active full backup) to a single DS412+ for the moment. I'm not looking for the fastest solution, but a reliable one that we can recover VMs from easily and so that I can hand over the solution to the junior member of the team and move to the next project ( i.e. put out the next fire). My question is simple - given that I have 1 NIC of the server on the same subnet as the 1st NIC in the Synology and another NIC on a separate network for the 2nd NIC in the Synology for MPIO, could I theoretically use the same MPIO methodology in place to attach the addition 3 Synology DS412+'s ?? I have read that Windows 2012 R2 supports up to 32 MPIO paths, but my question is firstly intended to be practical and fundamental one. Is this even possible or supported? I have looked after Veeam on our old server using NIC teaming and the throughput is awful via NIC teaming and a combination of other factors. We need to move to a newer server and I don't wish to waste the storage bought previously. We have 40 or so VMs to back up 10 are important for business continuity - my boss prefers reverse incremental nightly backups for simplicity and I know the backups and infrastructure well enough to juggle across the four NAS devices to prevent too much overlap. Thoughts? Advice. Apologies for the long post & TIA, Al
al_wearne
Lurker

Full Name: Al Wearne

Veeam Logoby DominikM » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:02 am

FYI:

If you're upgrading to DSM 6.1 and you're using the Synology NAS as a Linux backup target, you have to modify the sudoers configuration:

vi /etc/sudoers

change this:
Code: Select all
# Configure privilege of wheel group
Cmnd_Alias SHELL = /bin/ash, /bin/sh, /bin/bash
Cmnd_Alias SU = /usr/bin/su
%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL, !SHELL, !SU

into that:
Code: Select all
# Configure privilege of wheel group
Cmnd_Alias SHELL = /bin/ash, /bin/sh, /bin/bash
Cmnd_Alias SU = /usr/bin/su
# %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL, !SHELL, !SU
admin ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL

That will solve the connection problem.

Regards,
Dominik
DominikM
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dominik Meier

[MERGED] Feature Request: Veeam Package for Synlogy DSM

Veeam Logoby AFalb » Thu May 11, 2017 11:13 am

Hello,
since a lot of people use Synology NAS and you can't add that NAS as Linux Server because of missing packages it would be great if Veeam could develop a Package for Synology DSM with everything needed to add it as a Linux Server for NFS.

kind regards
AFalb
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Re: Feature Request: Veeam Package for Synlogy DSM

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Sat May 27, 2017 9:16 pm

Veeam uses standard packages like SSH and Pearl. So those packages needs to be enabled on the Synology side. Please open a feature request there.

A lot of customers were able to use Synology as Veeam Backup Target. Please see: veeam-backup-replication-f2/backups-to-synology-nas-t1961-120.html (last page)
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Liked: 374 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication