Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JamesMcG
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: James McGuinness

Best fit for Backup Copy target

Post by JamesMcG »

I'm trying to come up with the best possible fit for a backup copy job. Quick breakdown of what we have now:
- Job 1: HQ (Dev) data backs up to collocation site 2 (directly over LAN-X, space is available locally)
- Job 2: Collocation site 1 (DR) data backs up to collocation site 2 (directly over LAN-X)
- Job 3: Collocation site 2 (Prod) data backs up to collocation site 1 (directly over LAN-X, no space locally)

Veeam runs on a Windows VMs at each site, and the storage is via iSCSI direct mapping to Equal Logic units. I'd like to add a Backup Copy job to this setup, to an isolated target. As offline as I can get without being offline. Something along the lines of a NAS on it's own subnet, with only Veeam inbound ports allowed. Can you guys give me examples of what you have setup for you're 3-2-1 setups?

I'm trying to find a suitable NAS. I was thinking Synology but saw the threads about potential issues with cheap NAS' units and Veeam.

I'm wondering if I can do a Backup Copy job on the target Veeam instance where the originating job didn't run (it's the repo)?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Best fit for Backup Copy target

Post by Shestakov »

Hello James,
I would suggest to have some fast local repository on the production site for the faster backup restore and to use backup copy job to copy data offsite.
We have a big comprehensive thread with backup storage discussion. Please take a look.
Thanks!
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Re: Best fit for Backup Copy target

Post by skrause »

JamesMcG wrote: I'm wondering if I can do a Backup Copy job on the target Veeam instance where the originating job didn't run (it's the repo)?
The Veeam server running the Backup Copy job needs to have the source backups in its configuration database. The easiest way is to use the "target" Veeam server to manage the backup job and then have it run the backup copy jobs. Otherwise you need to rescan the repository and import all of the jobs to the database before the copy job runs.

You can have the same server mapped to multiple instances of Veeam (repository/proxy) with no real issue.

Because we send our copy jobs to tape, we have all of our Veeam backups managed by the server in our "off-site" location so we can do the copy jobs to the repository that is attached to our tape library without a lot of recan/import.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect