Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Mofamike
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mofamike

Best practise for 4 weekly backups to a second destination (smb share)

Post by Mofamike »

Hi all,

i have the following scenario:

Main Backupjob (HyperV VMs):

Daily Incremental Backup, weekly syntethic full on Saturday, retention 14 days. Destination is local storage of our backupserver. This job should remain untouched because it is the agreed sla standard for the customer

Now we have the customer's request to do a retention of 4 weekly backups (exclusively full backups) to an SMB share (QNAP). The job should run once a week on Saturday or Sunday in a specific time window. No impact on the productive VM is desirable, so we are considering with a BackupCopy job, but we're not sure if we can really only backup full backups and no incremental backups with this technology. Do you have any advise and how should we configure the backup copy job?

If it is not possible to create a backup copy job without incremental backups, what would be the solution for a main job, the impact on the VMs and the network should be kept as low as possible.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes Mofamike
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Best practise for 4 weekly backups to a second destination (smb share)

Post by Mildur »

Hello Michael

Please let me first note, this design looks like it's missing protection against ransomware.
Does the backup environment use any sort of immutable or air gapped repositories to protect his backups from accidental deletion?
The following options could be used:
- Air-gapped: Tape, rotated drives
- Immutable: hardened repository, object storage, cloud connect provider with insider protection

Back to your question.
You could use a periodic backup copy job and run it only once on the same day you configure the weekly GFS restore point.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Mofamike
Influencer

Post by Mofamike »

Hello Fabian,

thank you for your answer and the provided information.
Yes we already have tape library (so offline backup) for long term retention and already in planning for immutable storage option.

The customer request is just a new and dedicated request beside our infrastructer.

The mainjob doing the synfull always on saturdays at 01am

Could you help me with parameters i need to set up for the copy job in case of immitiatly or periodic, in case of every x day (i think 7 days is the right Parameter here), should we do the active full or the sync it from source and which parameters should we use for short time and gfs retention in copy job?

Goal is that the backup copy job should run once a week on saturdays between 8am and 6pm (no other time allowed) it should create only full backups no incremental and it should keep 4 weekly full backups that means a retention of 1 month (every week one vbk) not more.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes Mofamike
Mofamike
Influencer

Post by Mofamike »

or is a main job with the same vms on a weekly basis the better option to fulfill this scenario? The aim should also be to load the productive VMs as little as possible, so we thought that a backup copy job would be the better alternative, since we only access backups that have already been created, of course only if the backup copy job solves our scenario easily and practicably. Thanks in advance