juak
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Juan Guil

Best Virutal Hd Configuration linux backup repository

Post by juak »

case id 03946266
Hello all.
I've configured a new infraestructure backup with veeambackup version 9.5 update 4
I've created a linux backup repository vm that i've created a new virtual disk in lvm a ONE virtual disk containing 12 teras configured in lvm
when i launch a new full backup I observe that the backup takes a lot that is, the backup is very slow especially in backup of very large virtual disks, the bandwidth degrades
i've open a support case and they've been diagnosed that the bottleneck is in the target.
I understand then that it may be due to the performance of the large virtual disk
Please, my question is:
what would be the best way to configure a linux repository containing at least 12TB?
Is it advisable to create smaller virtual disks for better performance?

Thanks a lot.
Cheers
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Best Virutal Hd Configuration linux backup repository

Post by foggy »

Hi Juan, 12TB is not large actually. I'd pay attention to the particular setup - since the target is the major bottleneck, it could be either the underline storage (what is it, btw?) or the OS managing the writes. You can test with the ordinary disk, without LVM, just to check.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Best Virutal Hd Configuration linux backup repository

Post by PetrM »

Hi Juan,

One more idea is to use a physical repository instead of virtual machine, may be it's not the repository disk itself which is slow but a storage on which the vm with repository disk is located?
For example, VMware provides esxtop statistics which helps to identify storage performance issues (take a look at the following metrics: GAVG, KAVG, DAVG /CMD).

I'd recommend to check this thread as well to find more suggestions for Linux repositories.

And don't forget to check backup chain mode which is used: different backup methods have different I/O impact on destination storage, you can find more info here.

Thanks!