Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 251 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Bring back stand alone Pssnapin/Module installer.

Post by Cragdoo » 7 people like this post

Is there any particular reason why we are no longer able to install the Veeam PSSnapin/Module on its own? Now we have to install the remote console just to be able to call the pssnapin/module, which is a bit much if all you want to do is run a quick command. Appreciate it's a one time install, but you get the point

Are there any plans to upload the module to the Powershell gallery, to simplify the installation of the module , along the lines of :-

Code: Select all

Install-module -Name Veeam.Powershell
Would mean it's an easy and quick solution for Veeam admins out on the road etc to install the required modules without having to carry a copy of the remote console installation files with them.
k00laid
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Jim Jones

Re: Bring back stand alone Pssnapin/Module installer.

Post by k00laid » 1 person likes this post

+1000 for the Veeam PS module. This makes installation and use far simpler. If the other thread regarding an upcoming Web Console is true then this is going to be an important ride along, no console to install, no way of installing the Snap-In.
Jim Jones, Sr. Product Infrastructure Architect @iland / @1111systems, Veeam Vanguard
terafirma
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by terafirma » 1 person likes this post

Would even be nice if it were added to the Powershell gallery so install is a simple Install-Module Veeam.Backup or and update if you already have it. This would also provide a simple way of releasing updates and changes without waiting for a full product release.
rnelson0
Influencer
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Rob Nelson

Post by rnelson0 » 1 person likes this post

Powershell Gallery would be super nice for another reason: it doesn't require administrative privileges. You can install the module for just your user. There are some windows nodes I'd like to install it on where I'm either not admin at all or just don't want it available for all users.
knalbone
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Ken Nalbone

Post by knalbone »

+1 to making this installable via the Powershell gallery. Also, is a module (instead of snap-in) anywhere on the horizon? I know many people prefer modules over snap-ins.
VMCE 9
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 4 people like this post

Hi all, I can confirm that portable PowerShell module is on our roadmap. I cannot share ETA at the moment, but watch this space. Thanks!
$username
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Gary Busey

Post by $username »

k00laid wrote:If the other thread regarding an upcoming Web Console is true then this is going to be an important ride along, no console to install, no way of installing the Snap-In.
I am curious, is there an active thread for bringing a web console for B&R? I took a quick look and don't see it, can you link me to it?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post