Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HYF_JE
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Bug? Feature Request? Make Veeam respect installation folders

Post by HYF_JE »

I've done a couple VBR installations recently, both in my home lab and in the workplace.

What I found equally troubling in both is that even though I specified an alternative path for Veeam to perform the installation (specifically, a separate volume/disk/partition), it does not fully respect this choice.
  • Veeam logs are saved to %ProgramData%\Veeam - which in pretty much every case is going to be under C:. Due to how many logs Veeam keeps, that quickly becomes a problem.
  • The option appears ignored/impossible to set for the PSQL installation. It always installs to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL
Why is this a problem? Because as a system administrator, I don't want an application or service running atop the operating system to be responsible for a lack of disk space, causing the OS to crash or malfunction as a result. For that reason, where possible, I create a separate disk for the application to be installed on and run out of. This should make a clean separation and avoid disruption to OS for easily avoidable reasons. If the installed application/services overrun their space, that doesn't cause the OS to lock up or fail as a result. You isolate the failure domain.

Veeam today, doesn't respect this administrator choice. I have a new VBR server running for about a month now, and the Veeam programdata folder is already over 10GB. We're not a big environment. Maybe it's a misconfig, maybe that's normal growth. Regardless, the Veeam installer/installation should respect my intentions as an administrator.
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Re: Bug? Feature Request? Make Veeam respect installation folders

Post by tyler.jurgens »

You can change the log directory with a registry key (See: https://www.veeam.com/kb1825)

Interesting point about Postgres. I suppose one could simply install Postgres manually, but it would be nice to be able to adjust the install automatically with the Veeam installer.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social
JGM2023
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: JGM

Re: Bug? Feature Request? Make Veeam respect installation folders

Post by JGM2023 »

Even with Registry Key Applied It still writes some logs to these locations (Have tried to move them but files are still In use, Even after a reboot so they are still being written too by Veeam):

C:\ProgramData\Veeam

I also still have folders & files In C:\Program Files\Veeam & C:\Program Files (x86)\Veeam

Veeam One & Veeam ONE Agent also seem to write to these locations... We have over 100GB in the VID specific one.

C:\Users\%VEEAMONEUSERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp\VID
C:\ProgramData\Veeam\OneAgent\Log

Registry Keys:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\LogDirectory
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup\LogDirectory
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam VSS HW Snapshot Provider\LogDirectory