Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stanj
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Stan

Can a target repo be a Linux 8.1 share?

Post by stanj »

On this vSphere 6.7 setup, we do not have a SAN.

Our lab mgr said we have a 700TB custom built storage server (NAS) – SAS and SSDs.
It is running Red Hat 8.1.

Veeam 10 is on a VM that is running Windows 2016 Server that can access the network.

What do I need to provide to the lab manager in order for him to set up something for a repository if this is a valid solution?

I assume it will be some type of NFS share he can provide on the custom built storage server ?
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Can a target repo be a Linux 8.1 share?

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Stan,

You are right, you can add the repository as NFS share.
Also, for direct attached storage, we have a list of the system requirements for the repository and the list of the required modules.

Would this help?

Thanks!
stanj
Influencer

Post by stanj »

Hi Natalia,

It may help, but the lab manger will most likely not have time to read through documents to setup and provide the location of the NAS share for a reop on the Linux Server.

Are there any videos or step by step instructions or examples showing how to set up a Linux NAS share for adding to the Veeam B & R console?

thanks
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Stan,

Are you looking for some guides with NFS configuration on RHEL 8?

As for adding file share to VBR, there is a guide in helpcenter for this (please make sure you've checked the requirements).

Thanks!
stanj
Influencer

Post by stanj »

Hi Natalia,

I need to provide our Storage Admin with what is needed to provide a NFS share for the Veeam Repo

I have read it needs to be protocol v 3.0 or 4.1 for NFS?
I also have read that there is a need for a gateway server.

I also was provided info that I need to have a VM or other machine on a supported OS that our Storage Admin either create an NFS share and whitelist this VM or other machine for that share
My question are ,,
Would this other machine be the custom built Storage Server running Red Hat 8.1 act as the Gateway Server?
For white list, the custom built Storage Server would be white listed so the Veeam backup Server can access it?

For NFS share, .
I will need to know an account and password for the SSH connection for the NFS ?
I will need to know the network path name

Stan
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd »

If I recall correctly Veeam defaults to NFSv4. If that does not work then it will try NFSv3.

I'd suggest having a look at the following page for setting up NFSv4: https://www.stephenrlang.com/2016/01/se ... on-centos/

Please be aware that the article covers CentOS 5,6, & 7. CentOS 7 NFS set up is not that much different then CentOS 8 - the differences are minor.

Also, this website has an article on setting up NFSv3 for CentOS 5-7.

I'd suggest going with NFSv4 as the setup will be simpler, IMO.