Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JosvwHLT
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jos van Wordragen

Can I run a backup copy job without retention point merge.

Post by JosvwHLT »

How to deal with the fact that GFS retention point merge fails because of a "running out disk space" situation at the destination location. Stopping the backup copy job means no off-site copy of data. Running the job will fail, at the merge stage, because of the "out of disk space" situation. At the moment I run the jobs "manually" to make sure the data copy stage runs, than cancel the job when it hits the stage of starting the retention point merge. This cancellation might bring the destination location database at risk?
During the process of arranging disk space I perform the above procedure to at least get some data across. Is there an option to run a backup copy job but don't run the merge stage within that job? If not it would be great to have this option implemented with a next release or update.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Can I run a backup copy job without retention point merge.

Post by foggy »

Hi Jos, if you disable GFS retention in the job settings, it should address the issue. After enabling it back once you have enough space, existing restore points will be picked up by retention algorithm.
JosvwHLT
Enthusiast

Post by JosvwHLT »

Thanks Foggy for replying.
I guess you mean unticking the box "Keep the following restore points as full backup for archival purposes"? I "hovered" over that tickbox but am not sure what the effect will be on the retention points and the settings applied. Would I lose any restore points as it falls back to another schema and would i lose the settings applied.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, this one. You shouldn't lose anything, the job should just finish without creating new GFS restore point. After enabling it back GFS retention for restore points created earlier will continue.
JosvwHLT
Enthusiast

Post by JosvwHLT »

Thanks, will have a look.