Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bubblesnout
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Can't connect to B&R server from remote console

Post by bubblesnout »

I have Veeam B&R running on a Server 2012 R2 box (fully updated) and have the console installed to a Windows 10 Pro box. When I try to connect from the Windows 10 box to the server it tries for a couple of minutes but eventually spits out "Failed to connect to Veeam Backup & Replication server: The function requested is not supported". User account is set up in "Users & Groups", all Veeam services are started on the B&R server and have restarted both machines.

I've tried with the Windows 10 machine both joined to the domain and in its own workgroup, as well as trying with and without the "Use Windows session authentication" option.

I can telnet to the server on port 9392 and get a response, so it's not a firewall issue. The server does have AV installed but I have tried removing it with the same result. Anything I've found online about the particular error is mostly talking about RDP authentication issues with a particular Windows update from a year ago, but this doesn't seem to be relevant - RDP between the two machines working fine. I can open shared folders between the two machines, all other services requiring authentication seem to be working normally.

I've installed the B&R Console on another server (2019 Std) and get the same result from there, so the issue would seemingly be something on the B&R server.

Same result if I try and connect via Powershell using Connect-VBRServer -Server "servername".

Have checked the event logs on both the client and the server and can't see anything untoward at all.

Has anybody seen this before?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: Can't connect to B&R server from remote console

Post by Gostev »

I must say I'm really puzzled with this one, because I never ever saw it before for the console. But do you have NTLM disabled on the backup server, by any chance? Also, please remember to include support case ID for the issue, as requested when you click New Topic. Thanks!
bubblesnout
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by bubblesnout » 1 person likes this post

Apologies I hadn't opened a support case, I'm working with the Community Edition so my first thought was to go to the community and must have missed that when posting the topic.

I actually ended up shifting B&R to a separate machine, but looked in to this and you were spot on. Local GPO had "Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > Network security: Restrict NTLM: Incoming NTLM traffic" set to "Deny all accounts". I set it to "Allow all" and this got it working.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Post by Gostev »

Great, thanks for following up with the resolution!