Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Can't read imported Backup *.vbk

Post by flavor4real »

We had to import a *.vbk backup file that was archived on tape media. The restore from tape to the original location worked. When I opened the *.vbk file (double-click), the Backup size shows ~280GB data but the containing VM list was empty. We worked around and used the "extraction tool" but now I'm looking into why no VM's are listed at all.

If I import the *.vbk, a message says that "Unknown vbk file". The KB says that a different version was used but that is not the case in my scenario.

We've just tested successful another *.vbk from the same restore date/set and the VM was listed. This *.vbk was only ~10Gb, where the other was ~300GB.

I don't want to open a ticket for this but rather want to hear your input.

Thanks
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Re: Can't read imported Backup *.vbk

Post by chrisdearden »

did you restore the corresponding vbm file too?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

flavor4real wrote:If I import the *.vbk, a message says that "Unknown vbk file". The KB says that a different version was used but that is not the case in my scenario.
How have you imported the VBK? Did you use the Import button on the Veeam B&R toolbar? Did you use VBM or VBK file itself to import this backup? There's a chance that VBM file was corrupt for some reason...
flavor4real
Expert

Post by flavor4real »

well,...
this restore file *.vbk was on tape and we only push (copy) *.vbk files on tape. The "Import Backup" function would not work because it looks for the *.vbm file and I only have the *.vbk file. We basically "restored" the archived *.vbk file to a dedicated location out the Veeam B&R server. Double-clicking that *.vbk file would bring it's properties up. In here, the containing VM's should be listed but there was nothing. However, the backup size here showed that ~300Gb data was there.

We used the extraction tool (Veeam) and were able to get the data.
I'm just curious what could cause that no VM's were listed.

As a test, we restored from another backup job of the same date stamp, and the *.vbk shows the containing VM listed. But it was just a ~10Gb backup file. Now, I 'm wondering if there are some issues when it comes to larger files (*.vbk) restored from tape back to the Veeam B&R dedicated disk space.
flavor4real
Expert

Post by flavor4real »

I decided to open a support case number, which is 00251027.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

flavor4real wrote:The "Import Backup" function would not work because it looks for the *.vbm file and I only have the *.vbk file.
You can change the type of the file it looks for while browsing the file system (just select the VBK files option on the drop down list in the Browse dialog). I wonder whether this opens the backup normally...
flavor4real wrote:I decided to open a support case number, which is 00251027.
Right decision indeed.
flavor4real
Expert

Post by flavor4real »

I just wanted to give a feedback.

The support was not able to recreate my situation.
I restored a smaller *.vbk file (~10GB) from tape to the dedicated Veeam location, imported the *.vbk file into Veeam, and everything worked out fine. I'm not sure what the issue was with the larger ~300GB *.vbk file, which originally came from the same backup set as the smaller *.vbk file.

We were able to restore the VM with the "extract.exe" cmd tool. Therefore, I'll make a few tests from different backup time/dates (backups sets) and see if I can recreate the issue.

Thx
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

DS,

Thank you for keeping us up to date! If you see same behavior - please update this post.