Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 388 times

Case 01974239 - Stopping running transform job

Post by mkretzer »

Hello,

i am a bit confused - we use forward incremental with weekly fulls. Right now the weekly full transform (creating synthetic full) takes very long because we had many changes.

The problem is we need to do an incremental quick backup of a machine in that job. The job will take another few hours to create the synthetic full.

Now i asked Veeam support what would happen if we stopped that job (if there would be any problems with the chain) and were told that we absolutely have to do an active full to fix the chain after stopping such a process.
Why is that so? From my understanding the syntetic generation does not change anything on the backup chain other than the vbk it is just creating?? Why can it not simply re-start synthetic full creation?

Markus
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Case 01974239 - Stopping running transform job

Post by foggy »

Stopping the job while it is creating synthetic full will leave the latest (i.e. that very created synthetic full) restore point in inconsistent state, however, all previous restore points will not be affected. The next job run should repair the chain. I will check your support case, probably some misunderstanding took place.

Btw, do you have transform into rollbacks enabled?
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 388 times

Re: Case 01974239 - Stopping running transform job

Post by mkretzer »

No rollbacks... Gladly we could disable anything running on the target and the job finished...