Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jeffshead
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jeff

Change path of repository

Post by jeffshead »

I need to change the drive letter of a USB drive that is used as a repository. It's currently assigned drive letter F but sometimes it gets changed. I want to change it to drive letter Z since doing so seems to resolve the issue of Windows reassigning drive letters when other devices are added/removed.

The path is grayed out if you try to change it in the repository properties. It seems I cannot delete nor create a new repository with these checked:

So how can this be done? It's only a single drive so I cannot have both drive letters attached at the same time.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Change path of repository

Post by Mildur »

Hello Jeff

You don't have to manually change the drive letter. Configure this repository as a "Backup Repositories with Rotated Drives" and the backup server will be able to use previously used disks even if the drive letter has changed between two backup sessions: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jeffshead
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jeff

Re: Change path of repository

Post by jeffshead »

Thank you for yhe suggestion but the pre/post scripts that I use rely on a static drive letter.

The pre script automates powering on the NetBooter which supplies power to the USB drive. The post script safely removes the drive, via drive letter, and then powers off the NetBooter when the backup completes.

With my current setup, the USB drive is only connected during the backup. Is there another way of automating the safely remove of the drive, before powering it off, that doesn't rely on the drive letter? I couldn't figure out any other way when I set this up all those months ago. I don't recall the details, but I remember relying on the drive letter was the only reliable method of safely removing the drive and also eliminated an issue where the drive would not reconnect when I was relying on the device name, instead.