Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Fullor
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Voigt

Change request - Backup Copy Job interval

Post by Fullor »

Hi
I would like to suggest an option to copy job where you can check "run until finished" for the copy interval. Especially when a new job is created I need to set the "Copy every" interval to first 14 days, then 7 days, then 3 days and then finally 1 day.
If I had the "run until finished" I could just set and forget and I would know it would eventually finish without wasting bandwidth on servers that didn't make it within the interval.
Thx
Peter
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Change request - Backup Copy Job interval

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Peter,
Fullor wrote: I need to set the "Copy every" interval to first 14 days, then 7 days, then 3 days and then finally 1 day
Could you describe your use case please?
Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Since your job cannot finish its initial cycle within allocated interval, haven't you thought about seeding it first in order to decrease the changes that backup copy needs to sent during first run? Thanks.
Fullor
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Voigt

Post by Fullor »

When we setup copy jobs from remote offices to our local DataDomain in HQ some server are large or bandwidth is limited and often only part of the initial copy can be done during the normal (daily) copy interval.
To overcome this I have to change the copy interval to something higher, which I'm sure is enough, typically 14 days. When the initial copy is finished, I reduces the time to 50% for every copy.
If it was possible to set it to "run until finished" it would just run for like 12 days and restart when finished. Next copy would be 4 days, until the change where small enough to handle within the same day.
Seeding is not a option since this is from remote offices, and travel is to expensive.
Hope this is a bit more clear.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

I see your point Peter, indeed it makes sense.
Thanks for the request!