Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
abartok2283
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexander Bartok

Changed Block Tracking and multiple backup jobs

Post by abartok2283 »

Hello Everyone, Veeam support,
I'm currently evaluating B&R and I have a question regarding VMware's Changed Block Tracking.
If I set up multiple backup jobs to different locations (to avoid data corruption and create redundancy on the backup storage), will B&R make proper use of CBT and handle the diffs for each backup job seperately?
The plan is to have two backup jobs for the same VMs; one nightly, one at noon, running to different backup storage systems.

Is this possible/feasible?
Any recommendations? (the total volume in TB is ~7TB compressed&deduped for a full backup. Running each backup job in a 24hr cycle should be doable in the available time without too much impact on the running environment)

Thanks,
Alex
abartok2283
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexander Bartok

Re: Changed Block Tracking and multiple backup jobs

Post by abartok2283 »

Oh, and I need to hijack my own thread... Can backup jobs (and incremental files) simply be renamed or are there references to the filenames within the files? (I'd prefer renaming existing multi-TB jobs instead of recreating them. Currently they have test filenames I'd like to get rid of)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: Changed Block Tracking and multiple backup jobs

Post by Gostev »

Hello Alex, yes you can rename job name and description, but you cannot do rename backup file. And your first question is actually answered in the stickied FAQ thread, yes this will work fine. Thanks!