Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JorisK
Expert
Liked: never

Changing VC server impact

Post by JorisK »

Hi,

We are about to move on to a new VCenter4 server and want VEEAM 3.1.1 to use that server. Will this have impact on the current backups or can i just add the server and remove the 'old' VirtualCenter server?

Regds,
Joris
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Changing VC server impact

Post by Gostev »

Joris, yes it may have impact depending on how you install new vCenter, if you are not doing in-place upgrade of existing vCenter and instead planning to move all ESX hosts to the new vCenter, then all VMs and other infrastructure objects will get their unique IDs changed, and you would have to re-create all jobs.

Good decision on moving to vCenter 4 though, we are seeing much better scalability and monitoring API performance with this new version of vCenter.
pizang
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Re: Changing VC server impact

Post by pizang »

I have recently done following upgrade:
I had VmWare and Veeam on one server on win2k3sr2 (lets name it server1). I have installed w2k3sr2 64bit on another computer and installed vSphere 4 there by deataching virtualcenter db and attaching to MS SQL on new server (so it was an upgrade on a new machine). I have attached this server to veeam (the still resided on old system). I had to review all jobs and remove then add machines from new vCenter server. All jobs continue to run without a problem.

Then I backed up veeam database and installed w2K3sr2 64 bit on server1. Installed MS SQL 64 bit, moved vCenter db, instlled vSphere 64 bit, installed Veeam 64 bit, restored Veeam backup and reviewed all jobs (so remove all VMs and add them from new vSphere).