Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
selva
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Selva Nair

Choice of backup repository type

Post by selva »

I've a smallish setup that backs up a few Hyper-V VMS and a couple of physical hosts (using agent) to a Synology NAS. All managed by B&R 10. I've opted for using the NAS as a Linux server with direct disk access. To me this looks like the best option in terms of performance, though it doesn't appear to be a popular choice -- reading the documentation, as well as discussions in various threads here I only see most users debating about NFS vs SMB vs iSCSI.

Is there any advantage of exposing the backup space as an iSCSI LUN to the Hyper-V host or another Windows server, format it as NTFS and backup to it instead of what I'm doing? I understand iSCSI allows use of file systems such as ReFS, but see no reason to use SMB or NFS as target with a Linux-based NAS.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Choice of backup repository type

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
If you can format the Linux server (NAS system) with XFS (it also allows block cloning), that's probably the smartest way. The advantage of iSCSI over SMB / NFS is, that you can format it with REFS. Well, today also XFS with block cloning.
but see no reason to use SMB or NFS as target with a Linux-based NAS.
agree. the reason for NFS over SMB (and only over SMB) is that NFS supports write through.

If you can use the NAS storage as Linux repository, go for it đź‘Ť

Best regards,
Hannes
selva
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Selva Nair

Re: Choice of backup repository type

Post by selva »

Great to know that makes sense. Unfortunately Synology uses ext4 and btrfs; no support for xfs out of the box. So its ext4 for now -- not confident that critical backups can be entrusted to btrfs as yet. Have been also testing a second Linux server with xfs which works great. Thanks for confirming.