Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lwarner
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Leigh Warner

Cloud Connect confusion

Post by lwarner »

We use Azure Backup and Azure Site Recovery, but there are conflicts with our local Veeam backups due to VSS. So I would like to get everything under Veeam, and I was hoping that I could backup our VMs to our Azure cloud, and also do replication to Azure (the equivalent of Site Recovery).

I saw CC for Enterprise, but it requires a minimum 100 socket (!) license. We only have about a dozen sockets. We are not a service provider. So how do we back up to Azure with Cloud Connect? We have B&R Enterprise Plus.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Cloud Connect confusion

Post by jmmarton »

Any chance you have a Microsoft Enterprise Agreement? If so, then you shouldn't need a minimum of 100 sockets and instead can purchase an equal number of VCC-E sockets to match your B&R socket count. Keep in mind that VCC-E supports backing up to Azure, but does not support replicating to Azure. You'll even see that note in the Azure marketplace.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/marke ... nterprise/
*Replication via Veeam Cloud Connect is available in Veeam Availability Suite™ v9 for use with private clouds.

If you want to get your VMs running in Azure, you could always use Veeam Direct Restore to Azure which is a free solution. You just need to copy your backup files to the Direct Restore appliance running in Azure.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/marke ... oft-azure/

Joe
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Cloud Connect confusion

Post by veremin »

So how do we back up to Azure with Cloud Connect?
If you have a network connectivity to an Azure VM from a backup server, you can add the former as a repository to a backup console and use it as a target for backup jobs later on.

For disaster recovery feel free to leverage Direct Restore to MS Azure recommended by Joe.

Thanks.