Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
danswartz
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

Cloud repository proxy?

Post by danswartz »

So I'm signing up for one of the cloud providers. This is for a small number of critical VMs, and it's a last ditch safety net (e.g. I have replicas and daily backups of them already, as well as a monthly hot-plug e-sata drive backup). So I don't really care about incremental restore points - just want a known-good backup "out there". So I was thinking: create a backup job to run (say weekly) that does forever-forward with 1 restore point. If I understand how this works, the 2nd and subsequent runs will create an incremental (so those runs will not take as long to push out to the cloud repository as the initial full backup), and then the one and only incremental will be injected into the full backup, then deleted. Does this makes sense? And if so, do your cloud providers have a proxy I use? Otherwise, it seems like I'd be pulling the blocks from the incremental over the internet to my host, and then send them back out again to inject into the full backup. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Cloud repository proxy?

Post by foggy »

Data mover responsible for injection of incremental changes into the full backup runs on repository server, so data will not be sent back and forth.
danswartz
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

Re: Cloud repository proxy?

Post by danswartz »

Perfect, thanks!