Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Compact resources and scheduling

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

I'm working to convert my 19 jobs into Forward Forever Incremental, rather than doing monthly full backups. Along with this change, I'm scheduling a monthly health check and monthly compact, with these two operations separated by two weeks (Health on 1st Monday, Compact on 3rd Monday for Job 1, etc)

I enabled all jobs, and purposely scheduled the maintenance of each job to run on different days, but when all of my jobs completed last night, they all stated running Compact. I'm guessing to get caught up, but that was not my intended behvior, since some of them were not scheduled for weeks out from now.

I had 3 jobs already setup this way, but with all of the jobs hanging waiting for the Compact, I started getting various errors about
Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [4406].
Failed to download disk.
write: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

and

Failed to compact full backup file Error: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

So my question is, what resource are in use by the Compact and Health checks? Are proxies utilized? It seems like they must, because I had jobs hanging waiting for resources and cancelling the compact helped get them going. I forcast some of the jobs to take 25 hours or more to Compact due to their size, which means I'll end up missing entire backup windows.

How are others managing this? I have 131 TB of total backup data today, with 20 TB of that being the last full backup, and the total size should go down if I can start using Forward Forever Incrementals, but right now it looks like I'll take too much of a hit.

I wish I could scheduled the maintenance to happen after all backups are done, rather than Job 1 finishing at 8:00 PM and starting the process and hanging up all of the jobs that start after then.
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: Compact resources and scheduling

Post by alanbolte »

Only repositories are used. Proxies are not. A compact operation is not very different from a synthetic full in either workflow or resource requirements.