Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SamDLC
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Sam De La Cruz

Connect Veeam Server to MD3000i for SAN option

Post by SamDLC »

Hello, I am currently running into some problems. I hope someone can give me some tips on how to accomplish this.
I recently moved from VRanger to Veeam Backup software. Everything is working great, I am really happy that I switched products.
I would love to attach my VEEAm backup server to access the ESX LUNS and use the SAN option.
Currently am doing backups using network option but i would love to improve throughput.

Half of the MD3000i is used by my ESXs and the other half is connected to my Veeam Backup server to store backup files.
veeam Backup is also connected to same 2 switches to access the 2nd half of disks on MD3000i.

I have 3 ESX 4.0 U2 hosts connected to an MD3000i shared storage using 2 Dell Powerconnect 5420.
ESX01----->DELL SWITCHES---->MD3000i (1st disk group)
ESX02----->DELL SWITCHES---->MD3000i (1st disk group)
ESX03---->DELL SWITCHES---->MD3000i (1st disk group)

Veeam---->Dell Switches----->MD3000i(2nd disk group) this is where backup files are being stored.

How could I attach the 1 half of the MD3000i (where LUNS are) to the veeam backup so I can use SAN option.
Is this even possible?

GOAL:
Veeam---->Dell Switches----->MD3000i(1st & 2nd disk groups) this is where backup files are being stored.

Or if you have a better idea on how to connect Veeam to improve throughput is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Connect Veeam Server to MD3000i for SAN option

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Sam,

Here is a useful topic desribing how to configure Veeam Backup server to use in SAN mode, should help:
http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2259

You may also search the forums on "MD3000i" to get more information on configurations from other customers using the same storage.

Thanks!
SamDLC
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Sam De La Cruz

Re: Connect Veeam Server to MD3000i for SAN option

Post by SamDLC »