Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bhagen
Expert
Liked: 29 times

Continuous Backup Jobs + Backup Copy Jobs?

Post by bhagen »

I'm thinking of ways to get a physical server backed up more frequently. Currently, I do a backup once a day, then a backup copy job (that goes to our offsite (DR) veeam repository). The problem, of course is, if the HQ becomes a smokin' hole, depending on when everything went "poof", we could have up to a 47hr gap in our data. Since this physical server is our GFI Email Archiver, and it's writing transactions continuously, that's a lot of data loss. We've been "ok" with this much loss so far, but it's time to up our game and get this server protected more frequently.

Ideally I'd like to use CDP, along with regular backups, to protect it, but CDP doesn't work with physical servers, and we'd have to build a whole new physical vmware cluster to convert that archiver server to a VM. (That may happen in the future, but can't happen today, or even this month.)

So I think my only choice is to set the regular backup job to something more frequent like every hour, or even "continuous", right? If so, how do I deal with backup copy jobs? Meaning, will the regular backup job wait for the backup copy job to run before it starts again?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Continuous Backup Jobs + Backup Copy Jobs?

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Jobs will work independently, every job will have its own schedule. For example, you can run the primary job in Continuous mode and backup copy in Immediate mode to copy a new restore point as soon as it appears.

Thanks!
bhagen
Expert
Liked: 29 times

Re: Continuous Backup Jobs + Backup Copy Jobs?

Post by bhagen » 1 person likes this post

Oh, interesting. All my other backup copy jobs are set as periodic copy, set to copy every day at a specific starting time. They won't start until the backup job they're attached to is finished, so "immediate" mode must do things differently. (I can't swap current backup copy jobs to immediate mode, and if my fuzzy memory serves, that's because I converted from previous versions of Veeam, and could have switched at the time of conversion, but I didn't.)

So thanks @petrm; I will experiment with continuous and immediate mode and see if that gets us a reliably lower RPO.