Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Converting to Scale Out Backup Repository ?

Post by albertwt »

People,

I have HP StorageWorks D2600 and D2700 which is used as normal Veeam Backup Repository like the below setup:

So with Veeam 9.0 Update 1, I wonder if I can convert the entire 10 Backup Repository drives above into Scale Out Backup Repository ?
My goal in using SOBR is for simplicity reason so that I do not have to re-arrange - re shuffle the backup drives content to distribute the capacity usage on those Backup Repo.

Note:
All of the drive ecnlosures are connected using SAS cable to the back end server Smart Array P411.
All of the HDD are running 7200 rpm SAS drives.
Repository 1 - 2 are on RAID 6 (ADG)
Repository 3 - 4 are on RAID 50
Repository 5-10 are on RAID 5

Any suggestion and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Re: Converting to Scale Out Backup Repository ?

Post by DaveWatkins » 1 person likes this post

If you have an Enterprise+ license you can yes, if you only have Enterprise then you can only add 3 drives to an SOBR.

You could reconfigure your arrays to only present 3 LUN's which would allow you to put them all in a SOBR on Enterprise but that would involve a lot of shuffling
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Post by albertwt »

Ah Yes, I only have Enterprise license without plus.

is there any benefits of just configuring the 3 drives as SOBR and the reminaing as the normal repository ?
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

You'd still get some load balancing and failover capabilities among those three repos configured as part of a SOBR. Of course another option is to look into upgrading to Enterprise Plus so you can get those capabilities across everything. :-)

Joe
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Post by nunciate »

I have a similar setup. I have 10 Drive arrays of varying size from 6 to 18 Tb each. All SAS and All 7200RPM.
I also have 6x 16Tb LUNS presented from a couple of NetApp FAS2240-4 Units that I use for extra-long term backup storage onsite.

I have all of my 10 SAS attached drives put into a Scale-Out.
I also have the 6 NetApp LUNS all in a single Scale-Out.

These all used to be separate repositories and I upgraded and converted when I installed v9 U1.
The conversion to Scale-Out was uneventful. You just add you extents to a new Scale-Out. The jobs and data all get updated and moved to the new Scale-Out automatically.
I use settings Use per-VM backup files and the Performance Policy. I allow all backup types on all repositories.

One small issue I had was with single repositories which were close to full. After moving to Scale-Out some jobs kept trying to write full backups to the drives and filling them up.
What I did was put those into maintenance mode. Then I performed an evacuate backups to clear them off. Then I let backups run normally and I have not had any drive full issues since.
This only happened on 2 repositories since they were already pretty full (over 90%)
jamie2497
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jamie

[MERGED] Scale out repository questions

Post by jamie2497 »

Hi all,

I've got some questions regarding implementing a Scale out repository.

Currently I've got 2 local RAIDs, one of which is nearly full, the other has about 6TB free. The full drive only has one job pointing to it containing a single file server (But it is nearly 8TB for a full backup). I'd like to merge those 2 drives into a single repository so the file server increments can start being created on the other drive but I don't have enough space to run any active fulls.

- Can I simply create a Scale Out Repository, select performance and deselect Per VM and it will just continue creating Increments on whichever extend has the space?
- The repositories are set to E:\backups and F:\backups, i've got files and folders in the parent E: and F: will these be affected at all and can I still store files in everything except the backup folders?
- Any performance hits to implementing Scale Out?

All jobs are set to forever forward so ideally once implemented I just need it to continue creating increments without it accidentally trying to run a full backup and using up all the space!

Thank you
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi Jamie,

Please take a look at the thread, especially at this post since it describes how problem which is similar to yours has been resolved.

Thanks