Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Novell2
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Zeller Werner

Copy a MBR Disk to a new GPT Disk

Post by Novell2 »

Hi
a customer has a 2TB MBR disk. This disk has reached the 2TB max size. I want a new GTP disk with 3TB, can I restore all the data to the new 3TB disk? After the restore the disk is still a 3TB GPT disk? The VBR is V11.
Thanks a lot! Best regards Novell2
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Copy a MBR Disk to a new GPT Disk

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi

I guess we are talking here about plain simple repository of Windows:Local type?
If so, just Disable all jobs utilizing that repository, copy backups from one disk to another and change letter of 2nd drive to what it was for 1st one.
Go through Repository settings Next-Next-Finish style in Veeam to detect new size.

/Cheers!
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Copy a MBR Disk to a new GPT Disk

Post by soncscy »

Hey Zeller,

Are you meaning on your Virtual Machine you're looking do to this sort of expansion or on an infrastructure item like Egor says?

If it's a production machine, you have a few options for this:

1. Agents backup: This has volume level backups and restores, and I believe that it can handle restoring a volume to a larger/smaller volume than you had before. I think this is the best direction, even if it means temporarily you need to store an extra full backup.

2. Instant Disk Recovery the disk to the VM and rsync the data over to the new 3 TiB disk.

But it's not really clear for me which machine you want to expand a disk on :)