Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcdonaldb
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Brian McDonald

Copy Backup to External USB Drives

Post by mcdonaldb »

Im just trying to understand how my GFS archives will work with multiple (2) USB hard drives. Im running a backup copy job that is set to keep 4 weekly, 12 monthly , and 3 yearly. My question is what is the best method to accomplish this with rotating 2 USB drives weekly, so that the drives will essentially contain the same data. I guess where im confused is when i bring in the second drive, how would veeam be able to create a week old backup on the new drive, do i have to set my regular backup jobs to contain a certain amount of restore points?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Copy Backup to External USB Drives

Post by foggy »

Not sure GFS is applicable to the weekly rotated drives scenario at all. Each time the new drive is inserted, the jobs will start the new backup chain and create the new full backup from scratch, dropping retention counters.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can point a backup copy job to a local repository and, then, copy resulting GFS backups to rotated drives via some copying tool, such as Rsync or similar. Thanks.
mcdonaldb
Influencer

Post by mcdonaldb »

Ok, i can try this method and see if it works, there is a registry change that had to be made awhile back regarding the vbk file being updated by veeam, and rsync picking this up everytime due to the change. Does this still apply to version 7? KB1193
And if i make this change referenced in the KB does this affect my local backup resotre points in anyway?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You do not need to deal with this name changing as GFS restore points names do not change after they are created. You can just script to copy only those VBK files that are older than the latest one (the one from the regular backup chain).
mcdonaldb
Influencer

Post by mcdonaldb »

Does anyone have a recommended tool for windows to do the sync, I've seen various versions of a "windows" rsync, not sure if there is a more preferred?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Allway Sync was previously mentioned here as an alternative to rsync for Windows. Worth a try.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As to finding .vbk files older than a specific date, you can use the following PS one-liner; just replace 7 with whatever number of days you want to (older than):

Code: Select all

Get-Childitem -Path "Directory\*.vbk" | where {$_.LastWriteTime -le (Get-date).AddDays(-7)}
Thanks.