Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CharlesRiale
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Charles Riale

Credential error on FLR with Linux See Case # #02470239

Post by CharlesRiale »

Getting this to work is critical as I don't have any DR for my Linux guests.

When I try to restore a file from the OS (for example a file in /etc), FLR fails with the error, "Unable to establish connection with the VM. Check credentials and try again." after I select root from the drop down list.
The version of SLES is 11.3. Using root to authenticate. I can Putty into the server, I can ping in all directions,

I am also running OES 11.2 with NSS volumes. At first I thought it was an NSS issue since those were the first files I tried to restore. Then I tried a FLR with SLES OS and had the same problem. I also tried the eDirectory .admin.gm account. Same error.

The console of the FLR "appliance" is not showing any errors.

I notice that the root accounts I added to the Manage Credentials applet do not have keys for their icon. They only have the Penguin. I know from Backup Exec that makes a difference, but I don't see anywhere to change the type of login account.

The window will not let me paste in the entire log file, so here is what I believe is the line of most significance: Entire log is attached to the Case.

[16.01.2018 22:24:58] <33> Warning System.Exception: Failed to login to host: 'gm-files-2', port: 22, user: 'root', elevation to root: 'no', autoSudo: no, auth type: 'Password', host name: gm-files-2, IPs: [192.168.1.66]. ---> Veeam.Backup.Common.SSHException: User authentication failed.

This also bothers me. .141 is the IP address of the FLR appliance:

[16.01.2018 22:24:51] <01> Info Traffic redirection is not enabled for host 192.168.1.141
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Credential error on FLR with Linux See Case # #02470239

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please try to set FLR appliance helper password and retry FLR.

Thanks
CharlesRiale
Novice

Post by CharlesRiale »

Thanks for the suggestion, but that did not work either. Sounded promising too! I set the Helper password to the same as the root password for the VM where I'm trying to do the FLR.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

This is likely due to the default password authentication method in sshd on SLES 11. I had this same issue with both OES 11 and OES 2015. I haven't tested OES 2018 (or plain SLES 12) to see if the behavior has changed. Anyways, make the change in this kb article and you should be all set.

https://www.veeam.com/kb1512

Joe
CharlesRiale
Novice

Post by CharlesRiale »

Joe!!

Bingo that was it! Worked on the NSS files as well. Such a simple fix and so elusive. I told the 2nd Tier support engineer about it so it gets documented there too. Thank you so much. I hope others see the power and security of OES and NSS. Truly the superior OS.

Charlie