Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
borgiaj
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Joe Borgia

Credentials Settings following installation

Post by borgiaj »

Hello all.

I work at a site that requires smart card authentication for administrative access to systems, which is no problem for getting into the B&R console. The problem becomes where I need to setup backup infrastructure credentials in the credentials manager following installation to connect to other components in the backup infrastructure. On one network enclave where I have Veeam installed, username and password admin credentials are allowed. On the network enclave where I'm preparing to install Veeam B&R the AD infrastructure doesn't allow for admin username and password credentials (easily). It's more tightly controlled. All admin access logging into our servers is via smart card, even through RDP. There is a chance that I may be able to obtain a service account for the credentials manager with username and password (not easily), but I'm guessing that is going to be my only solution to make this work for the credentials manager to allow me to connect to/create other infrastructure components.

Am I reading this wrong? It appears a username/password service account would be the only solution here.

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Credentials Settings following installation

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
currently you need username / password for managed servers (Windows, VCenter, Hyper-V...) except for Linux machines where you can use public key authentication.

I don't know about your infrastructure and requirements... but maybe you can reduce your "other infrastructure components" to zero and avoid passwords by doing it that way.

Best regards,
Hannes
schellh
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Uli Schellhaas

[MERGED]2FA for vcenter

Post by schellh »

Hello, we want to do 2FA for Vcenter, either by smartcard or by SSO oauth2 /external Login Page.

Can Veeam deal with this, how would one achieve such a request ?

thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Credentials Settings following installation

Post by Mildur »

Hi Uli

Moved your post to Hannes post.
Currently username and password is needed. You can't use 2FA to connect to a vCenter Server in the Veeam Console.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software