Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hayabusa
Novice
Liked: never

cut off logs and store these for some days

Post by hayabusa »

hi everyone,

ive a little question about veeam b&r in version 7.
can i set a limit for a report of a job?
the log size (displayed in internet explorer) are bigger than 1 gb and the size is always grow up.

i would like to cut off the logs every week and store the logs for 60 days.

thanks.
hayabusa
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: cut off logs and store these for some days

Post by veremin »

the log size (displayed in internet explorer) are bigger than 1 gb and the size is always grow up.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "the log size displayed in IE". Are you talking here about logs stored by backup server?

If so, you can use the following regkeys in order to control logs size:

Code: Select all

UncompressedLogsMaxTotalSiz 512000 (DWORD)
This setting is applied to jobs only and is measured in KB. When the entire backup/replication job logs chain exceeds this threshold, the backup server starts compressing job log files to free up some space.

LogsArchivesMaxCount 10 (DWORD}

Again, this is for jobs only. This setting sets the maximum number of archived job log files.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
hayabusa
Novice

Post by hayabusa »

Hello v.Eremin,

i mean the logs in veeam when i click on the backup job and select "report". the upcoming report will displayed in internet explorer and is stored in
%AppData%\Local\Temp\2\Veeam Session Report.html

can i use the registry keys for the veema session report?
if so, where do i have to set the registry keys in the registry?

Thanks.
serverbu
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by serverbu »

v.Eremin wrote:...
If so, you can use the following regkeys in order to control logs size:

LogsArchivesMaxCount 10 (DWORD}

Again, this is for jobs only. This setting sets the maximum number of archived job log files.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Where should these keys be? I tried searching the windows registry on our veeam b&r Server for it and found nothing.
Is this the same setting as "Session history retention" under options?

Thanks and regards
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

hayabusa wrote:i mean the logs in veeam when i click on the backup job and select "report". the upcoming report will displayed in internet explorer and is stored in
%AppData%\Local\Temp\2\Veeam Session Report.html
Oh, you're talking here about reports, not about actual logs. Are you saying that these reports that should be created only temporarily are stored there forever, and aren't deleted afterwards?
serverbu wrote:Where should these keys be? Is this the same setting as "Session history retention" under options?
These keys, as well as, all other VB&R registry keys should go to the standard HKLM\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication hive. These settings are related to logs (not sessions) which are needed mostly for support team.

Thanks.
hayabusa
Novice

Post by hayabusa »

Hello v.Eremin,

the actually problem is that veeam is logging all backup events in this html file. one of this html file have actually a size of 70 mb. when i have to take a look on the report sometimes ive wait more than 5 minutes.

i just want to keep the logs of the last 30 days, how can i resolve this?

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

As I've said previously, that is not a log, but rather a custom report. It should be preserved only temporarily and be deleted automatically after some time. So, if it doesn't get removed automatically, you'd better open a case with our support team.

Or you want for this report to include information only about sessions occurred within last 30 days?

Thanks.