Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ori
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ori Besser

Data Domain and "Defragment and compact full backup file"

Post by ori »

Hi,
I'm using forever forward incremental jobs and I'm planning an upgrade from v8 to v9.5.

KB1956 (https://www.veeam.com/kb1956) recommends to enable it with Data Domain (the last bullet in the "Backup Mode" section)
but the Veaam best practice guide (https://bp.veeam.expert/job_configurati ... _job.html#) recommends to disable it:
When to avoid? When using deduplication storage, it is recommended to disable the "Defragment and compact". As deduplication appliances are fragmented by their very nature, and have very poor support for random I/O workloads, the compacting feature will not enhance backup or restore performance.
What would be the recommended option? I'd be glad to hear some recommendations from the field about enabling this option with Data Domain

Shoud per-vm backup file chains be considered when deciding whether to enable compacting or not?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Data Domain and "Defragment and compact full backup file

Post by foggy »

I believe the recommendation to enable this option for dedupe appliances was given prior to introduction of per-VM backup chains, when reading metadata could take significantly longer in case of large highly fragmented files. However, compact operation is pretty heavy random I/O and can itself take considerable time, hence recommendation from the best practices guide. Anyway, it's better test in your particular environment and derive recommendations from there.
ori
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ori Besser

Re: Data Domain and "Defragment and compact full backup file

Post by ori »

Great, thanks