Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
namiko78
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Steven Stirling

Dedupe + Compression + server 2012

Post by namiko78 »

I'm sorry if this has been answered in the FAQ's, but i'm looking for confirmation.

I've got a server setup with the intention of long term archiving. Monthly retention points, for 7 years, stored on a 2012 R2 deduped volume. I've got the data being populated with a backup copy job. Wondering if i'll get better overall disk space savings using the no compression option, or dedupe friendly?

Wasn't sure if this applied to server 2012 dedupe.

Q: Should I disable built-in deduplication it I am backing up to a deduplicating appliance?
A: No, we recommend that you keep it enabled for better results! You will get faster backups, and more portable backup files. However, consider disabling compression, because compression may affect deduplicating ratio significantly on these type of storage devices.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Dedupe + Compression + server 2012

Post by foggy »

I guess, this answer was written in times prior to dedupe-friendly compression level was introduced. Anyway, you can always perform some testing to check which configuration suits your needs best. Thanks!
namiko78
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Steven Stirling

Post by namiko78 »

I got 59% dedupe with a single full, and no compression. I guess i'll have to let a few more fulls build up, and then start over with dedupe friendly compression on. Just thought someone else may have done this already.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

We have quite an extensive discussion over Windows 2012 Deduplication; it might be worth taking a look, if you want to see some real-life examples. Thanks.