Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rogerdu
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Roger Dufour

Design Decision

Post by rogerdu »

I'm presently working on a design for a new client who has a primary and secondary datacentre. Most of the design decisions are straight forward, but as there is no up to date "Best Practices" (or even one for v8 that I could find) I thought to ask a couple questions here...

Background: The client has roughly 20 systems, but varying RTO and RPO requirements. the 3 RPO/RTO levels I have to work with are daily, every 4 hours and hourly. I am using Replication for all systems although the source for the daily RPO will be the daily backups. There are also requirements for longer term backups (7 years) so the necessity for regularly scheduled daily backups is there as well. Lastly, the client wants these backup images and the replicated VMs offsite (Site A to Site B and Site B to Site A). Retention is 2 weeks (daily), one Month (weeklies) and 7 years on monthlies.

- Exchange Logs. While it is definitely in order to prune/truncate logging, I wonder if I should do so with the Replication job or should I do this with the backup job? Why?

- SQL replication is required hourly. Point in time recoverability is requested. I'm thinking I should do log truncating with the replication job instead of the backup job. Thoughts?

- Backup policies as the number of systems is relatively small, and the data footprint is less than 2 TB on a full, I'm thinking one policy should suffice. Clients include SQL, SharePoint, Exchange and Windows Application/Web servers and File/Print servers. In legacy implementations I had to break it out to a single policy per client. Any preferences here?

- Backup Copy will be used to move daily incremental backups offsite. Synthetic fulls on a weekly basis with a GFS rotation that keeps weeklies for a month and monthlies for 7 years. The GFS rotation has to be maintained at both sites (primary copy and remote coy). Will Backup Copy be able to do so?

Thanks in advance... its been a while since I've had to do a full backup/DR architecture, and this is my first using Veeam.

Roger
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Design Decision

Post by foggy »

rogerdu wrote:...but as there is no up to date "Best Practices" (or even one for v8 that I could find)
Here's the one for v8.
rogerdu wrote:- Exchange Logs. While it is definitely in order to prune/truncate logging, I wonder if I should do so with the Replication job or should I do this with the backup job? Why?
You can do it even in both jobs.
rogerdu wrote:- SQL replication is required hourly. Point in time recoverability is requested. I'm thinking I should do log truncating with the replication job instead of the backup job. Thoughts?
Point-in-time recovery is available if you're backing SQL transaction logs up, not just truncating them. Transaction logs backup is not available in replication jobs.
rogerdu wrote:- Backup policies as the number of systems is relatively small, and the data footprint is less than 2 TB on a full, I'm thinking one policy should suffice. Clients include SQL, SharePoint, Exchange and Windows Application/Web servers and File/Print servers. In legacy implementations I had to break it out to a single policy per client. Any preferences here?
Could you please elaborate on what do you mean by backup policy here? Similar RPO/RTO settings for the number of VMs?
rogerdu wrote:- Backup Copy will be used to move daily incremental backups offsite. Synthetic fulls on a weekly basis with a GFS rotation that keeps weeklies for a month and monthlies for 7 years. The GFS rotation has to be maintained at both sites (primary copy and remote coy). Will Backup Copy be able to do so?
GFS retention is available for the backup copy job only, so to have it in both locations, you would need to create two backup copy jobs (local and remote) or sync the backups offsite using some external tool.
rogerdu
Expert

Post by rogerdu »

Backup Policy = Backup Job. obviously doing one job per VM is not recommended, but is there some compelling reason to group some systems together over doing one job for all Windows systems if the requirement is a daily backup with a GFS retention scheme? As the customer is requesting that we use replication to ensure shorter RTO and RPO targets, backups in this case are specific to longer term retention of information, file recoverability and legal requirements.

Roger
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If all the VMs have similar RTO/RPO requirements, you can go with a single job for ease of management.
rogerdu
Expert

Post by rogerdu »

The backup requirements are the same for every system... daily backups with similar retention requirements.

For DR purposes, I am specifically using Replication to satisfy the RTPO targets as some are 1 hour, some are 4 hour and some are 24 hour (less than 20 systems total).

For this model, I am treating backups and backup copies as separate requirements from DR which I am satisfying with replication and fail-over.

Roger
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Then a single backup job will answer your requirements.