Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Ollo
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

[Feature Request] Disabling role Guest Interaction Proxy

Post by Ollo » Jan 26, 2018 9:35 am

Hello,

by adding a new Proxy, it gets the 2 roles "Backup Proxy" and "Guest Interaction Proxy".
When you like to disable the proxy under BACKUP INFRASTRUCTURE only the role "Backup Proxy" would be disabled.
The proxies are still used for SQL Log processing p.e.

The GUI has to be changed, that you also can disable the role "Guest Interaction proxy" globally.

Regards Ollo

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: [Feature Request] Disabling role Guest Interaction Proxy

Post by foggy » Jan 26, 2018 10:39 am

Hi Ollo, thanks for the request, noted. But could you share a couple of words regarding the scenario - when you would like to disable the guest interaction proxy? Thanks.

Ollo
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by Ollo » Jan 26, 2018 12:46 pm

We added 2 hardware proxies to our configuration. We found out, that the configuration was incorrect respectively not finished . Before we have to delete them from configuration, we set them to disabled.
We restarted the OS and the SQL log processing aborts.

Other situation. sometimes you like to patch the OS of your Proxy and don't want to stop all your schedules because of one proxy. So it would be nice if the can set them to maintenance.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Jan 26, 2018 1:41 pm

Got it, thanks.

spiritie
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Gert van Niekerk

Post by spiritie » Mar 09, 2018 9:44 am

+1 for this.

Seeing the same behaviour, currently we have disabled a proxy and Veeam still uses it as guest interaction proxy.

Would be nice when adding a Windows server to choose whenever it should be acting as a guest interaction proxy or not, as the network doesn't always allow the ports needed.
Instead we have to edit all of our backup jobs, and choose the specific servers we want to use as guest interaction proxies, which is not ideal since we'd prefer to use automatic selection.

signal
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by signal » Apr 25, 2018 7:47 am

Is this on the roadmap somewhere?

When adding a Windows server there should be an option to choose it it may be used as a guest interaction proxy. This is very important in secure environments.

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3622 times

Post by Gostev » Apr 25, 2018 11:58 am

@signal can you clarify this a little more please? If a managed server does not have a direct network connection to guest, it will not be used as guest interaction proxy. But in cases when it does - why not use it? How leveraging such servers is going to make your environment less secure?

signal
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by signal » May 02, 2018 10:00 am 1 person likes this post

My point of a secure environment is some of the candidates for being a GIP do not have the needed access in the network. In the specific environment I have in mind there is a windows server acting as backup proxy and repository, but it does not have access to the guest systems to perform backup.
The setup is as follows:
Backup server: 10.1.12.20 (/24)
Backup Proxy/repo: 10.1.60.20 (/24)
Guest: 10.1.0.30 (/24)

Every run the proxy (60.20) is chosen to perform backup with the message "different subnet", and then fails back to the backup server, which has the firewall openings required. I know I can choose a specific server as GIP for the job, but this is not a viable option since there may be other VMs to back op where there are different Windows VMs to use as GIP.

Jay Die
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Post by Jay Die » Sep 04, 2018 8:53 am 1 person likes this post

Hello,

+1 for this feature.

In my case, I am currently installing a Veeam backup infrastructure for a customer. This infrastructure is simply a Veeam Backup Server + Veeam Windows Repository.
These 2 servers are physicals, the Veeam server have embedded disks, but my customer want to secure some backups to the windows repository (other room / other building).

But when I registered the windows host, he also registered automatically as a guest interaction proxy. But this server is only a backup repository, and not a Veeam Proxy.

So I need to configure each job to use one specific guest interaction proxy.

t481
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by t481 » Aug 09, 2019 12:17 pm

+1 for this feature. It's terrible. It took me a while to figure out what was going on. Had to change the job itself to specifically exclude one particular server. Please improve this.

skrause
Expert
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause » Aug 12, 2019 1:58 pm

I support this suggestion.

Maybe create a separate set of roles with "backup proxy" and "interaction proxy" so that you can set a machine to just be an interaction proxy since it needs less resources and then your "fat" proxies would just be for processing the heavy lifting tasks.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect