Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nwbc
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: nwbc

disconect rotated repo (Windows Agent + VM Backups)

Post by nwbc »

Hey,
I plan to start using a rotated repository containing of 3 HDDs. I found a lot of useful information (such as driveID/letter etc)already but some things are not in the clear yet.

Version/Lic: B&Rv10 - essentials perpetual

I have one Repository containing VM Backups (ESXi) and multiple Backups from Windows Agents (bare metal machines)

Now from what I know, there is no single job that would be able to move the VM Backups and the Agent Backups together to the rotating repository via a single job. I would love to run a script to turn off the rotating media after the copy is done. However, with there being 2 sperate jobs(one to move VMs, one to move Agent Backups) I do not know how to do this the propper way. In general, I do not know how to best use the starting/ending skripts to tackle encryption hapening on these rotating drives.

Are there any example Skripts or ways to streamline the behaviour for this setup with both VM and Agent Backups?

For example, I want to insert a drive on Friday, for it to sync with the Agent and VM Backups once. Once it is done I want it to disconect and not listen to later backups, not writing to the media again saturday, sunday, etc. The day I insert the drive might change, whenever I do there should be a sync and then a disconect.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: disconect rotated repo (Windows Agent + VM Backups)

Post by Dima P. »

Hello nwbc,

From the top of my head you can put custom script to the windows task scheduler and trigger it to start when new windows event appears. You can rely on backup job completion events to eject the drive (i.e. both vm backup and agent backup must be completed in order to eject the drive).
nwbc
Influencer

Post by nwbc »

hey and thanks for the reply,
the problem I see is, that I could store if task A has been completed, and if task B has been completed. However I wont know if Task A has been completed, but started again after task B completed. I probably could disable a task once it is done, and then it would be ok, but I do not know what my options are exactly.

Best scenario:
I put in a drive with one of the known IDs, that starts both Jobs, which only run once each and after both finished the drive gets disconected.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Is it possible to schedule vm backup job to run after agent job is completed? If yes - you can rely on vm backup job completion event and that's it.
nwbc
Influencer

Post by nwbc »

From what I searcherd and checked in the ui:
I can run a copy job after a backup job vie ui options
to run a copy job after a copy job, or to run a copy job after I inserted a drive I would need to do a custom skript

Is there a tutorial site or examples to go by?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Enable-VBRJob cmdlet should be a way to go here.

Backup copy job by default does not have defined schedule, it's running continuously, so, you need to enable and disable it instead of starting it.

Thanks!