Documentation Request: Firewall recipes for different tasks

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Documentation Request: Firewall recipes for different tasks

Veeam Logoby mikeely » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:33 pm

Looking at the current Used Ports page is a bit daunting as there is a lot of data and it's somewhat poorly-structured. Getting SQL log shipping for example required me to use tcpdump and a set of custom firewall rules (curse Server 2012 for hiding which port assignments are delivered by which advanced firewall rule!). And that's hardly the only time I've run into firewall rules trying to do various tasks.

I propose breaking it down into task-specific recipes, perhaps using a drop-down menu system completing a system like:
"I want to {back up|restore} an instance of X application running on Y operating system version Z."
"The following ports must be enabled from the {server|proxy|backup repository} to the target VM: TCP N,N,N-N,N and UDP N,N,N." (where N is obviously some number)

I don't know. This is only part of the puzzle. Communications between various tiers need to be addressed as well, but it would be nice if the information could somehow be made to be more succinct than it currently is.
Unless otherwise specified, I am asking about something pertaining to Linux. We use Windows as infrequently as possible, and enthusiastically seek ways to reduce that usage further.
mikeely
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

Re: Documentation Request: Firewall recipes for different ta

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:12 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll pass it to our Technical Writes team for a review.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 449 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Documentation Request: Firewall recipes for different ta

Veeam Logoby mikeely » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:57 pm

We do get to necro our own threads, right?

Anyhow I've recently come to a different conclusion about the firewall rules situation:

Seriously too high!
Unless otherwise specified, I am asking about something pertaining to Linux. We use Windows as infrequently as possible, and enthusiastically seek ways to reduce that usage further.
mikeely
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication