Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Thernlund
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Terry Hernlund

Documentation suggestion regarding Backup Copy jobs?

Post by Thernlund »

I've spent a few hours trying to answer my question until I sort of gleaned it from a thread in this forum. If I'm being honest, I must admit that I'm still dubious. The question I had goes like this...

My backups are set to run ~30 days of incremental with an active full on the first Saturday of the month. I'm getting ready to start using Cloud Connect, which I will have to seed with 5TB of data (!!). Once that pain is over though, I understand that Backup Copy jobs are forever incremental. That's good. But... what happens on the next primary active full? Does the Backup Copy job re-upload my 5TB of data?

From the post I linked above I sort of gleaned that a Veeam Backup Copy job manufactures its own incremental backup from existing data. Ipso facto... it does not re-upload all 5TB of data upon a primary active full; it does remain incremental forever.

If I'm wrong in what I've come to understand, please correct me. If do understand though, I might suggest that the docs be tweaked a bit to use some more straight-forward language to this effect. I read the same section of documentation probably 30 times, no joke, and the answer was simply not clear to me. Or at least not clear enough. It seems to stop every time just before the answer is to be had.

Just a suggestion. Again though, if I still don't get it, please by all means educate me.

Thanks. :)
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Documentation suggestion regarding Backup Copy jobs?

Post by nielsengelen »

You are correct. It will not re-upload the 5TB of data :-)
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen