Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Does stopping a running backup corrupt the whole chain?

Post by Moebius »

I had to interrupt (Stop) a running backup for some large VMs as it was practically stuck. The job is configured as reverse incremental.
Now the backup properties show the latest run of the offended vms as 'Full - Incomplete' and the previous runs as 'Rollback'.
Also, trying to Instant Recover the vm, I only see Rollbacks in the list of available restore points. I couldn't actually perform the IR due to lackof resources.

Does this mean I have no recoverable points of these vms? Does interrupting a reverse incremental backup corrupt the whole backup chain or should I still be able to recover the state of the vm at the last good backup point? I expected to see the last run as "Full - incomplete" and the prevous still as "Full".

In other words, if the backup is a reverse incremental type, stopping a running job turns the whole chain to garbage as it appears?

(Apologies if this has already been covered, I couldn't find an existing thread.)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Does stopping a running backup corrupt the whole chain?

Post by foggy »

Lucio, you are always able to restore from any previous successful restore point (including the last known good state). Here's also a good discussion regarding this.