Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
spgsit5upport
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Seb

DR exercise

Post by spgsit5upport »

Popular topic, no brainer really with Veeam.

So the only question is how much money one wants to spend & what hardware to get?

Obviously there is the Backup side (lots of accessible storage for whatever backup plan) & Replication side (so one can do proper DR in case of a major failure)

From experience of the members here, is it wise to go for all-in-one solutions (NAS combined with iSCSI units) or is it better to split NAS only for storage & iSCSI SAN for replication?

Just would like to know what hardware people are using & are happy with

Thanks

Seb
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: DR exercise

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Seb, you will find many posts about different hardware solutions used by users.
To me, you have to consider two different solutions, since probably you are going to use a NAS locally to save backups (near production storage to allow faster restores, short retention) and a block storage in a remote location with some ESXi servers connected to it for Replicas.
Ideally, there is also a third component, a remote NAS to replicate backups in a remote location, so you can save backup files from major disaster happening in your primary location.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
spgsit5upport
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Seb

Post by spgsit5upport »

Well said, now I only? need somebody to give me money to do it....
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times

Post by Yuki »

NAS vs iSCSI SAN is not really that important as the following:

1) how much data you are dealing with
2) how much of it is changing
3) what you want to do (replicate, backup (forward with active/synthetic, reverse)

I can think of very expensive and powerful NAS and SAN devices, and all of them will perform just fine. At the same time i can do the reverse - come up with both NAS and iSCSI SAN that will tank while processing some servers with Veeam.