DR for Veeam

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

DR for Veeam

Veeam Logoby cmorris05 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:05 pm 1 person likes this post

I know this has been asked a bunch of times, but I have not seen this exact scenario.

We have 2 sites, each with a HyperV cluster, both are running production workloads. At site A we have our Veeam Server which is currently doing backups and testing replication to Site B, this server is also a repository server as it uses an iSCSI connection to the SAN. At Site B we have a Veeam repository pointed to a second iSCSI SAN. I have backups being sent to one side, then copied to the other with a backup copy job.

I was wondering the best way to recover from a failure on one of our sites. My thought was to set up the repository server at site B as a second Veeam Server and let it handle the replication only. I am not sure how the licensing works for that though. If we did that would the licensing cover it? Would the two servers be linked somehow? How does that work?

The other thought I had was just to use Veeam to replicate itself from site A to site B. Would this be a better way of doing it?
cmorris05
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Morris

Re: DR for Veeam

Veeam Logoby DaveWatkins » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:15 pm 2 people like this post

You can do that, licensing is per CPU, so as long as all your CPU's are already licensed you can run as many servers as you like. Personally I replicate my Veeam B&R server to my DR site so if i need too I can power it up if the main site is down and just fix it's IP. I have physical proxies and repo's on each site but keeping the actual B&R a VM allows me to replicate it.

The other option is to just build a new server utilizing the configuration backup. I've always stayed away from running 2 servers since no there really is no linking except if you're using enterprise manager. The servers themselves aren't aware of each other and it makes upgrading more complicated as they all need to stay in sync since they will share proxies and repos
DaveWatkins
Expert

Liked: 68 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:11 pm

My thought was to set up the repository server at site B as a second Veeam Server and let it handle the replication only.

Set up additional backup server at Site B and let it orchestrate either everything or replication activities only. That's a preferable approach, indeed.

If we did that would the licensing cover it? Would the two servers be linked somehow?

They won't be linked, but since you're protecting the very same VMs, single license can be shared between two backup servers.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1007 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby rome1423 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:35 am

Hi I also has questions on this similar environment I am about to setup:
2 sites:
Site A Prod (vsphere cluster of 2 ESXi servers) with existing Physical VB&R v9.0.0.1491 (Enterprise) using Built-in SQL Server 2012 SP1 Express (BkpSvr-A), use DAS storage for repository.
Site B DR (vsphere) : To setup New DR Site B with new Physical VB&R (same version as PROD) using Built-in SQL Server 2012 SP1 Express (BkpSvr-B), also use DAS storage for repository. Planned purpose of BkpSvr-B is for VM Replication from Site A. Currently has 8 VMs in site A to replicate.
There will be MPLS direct link between sites A & B.
Questions:
1. How do I assess the bandwidth needed for the Replication traffic ? I need info to apply for MPLS service.
2. the 2 VB&R BkpSvr-A, BkpSvr-B cannot share Veeam components like proxies, repositories right? But use common Veeam license?
3. Do I have to deploy 1 or more additional Proxies in Site A for BkpSvr-B to manage and do the replication?
4. For DR Drill when whole site A unavailable, to use BkpSvr-B to do failover and start-up 8 VMs in site B. So this is considered Forced Failover without additional data sync from site A?
5. Any advice or best practice guide for this kind of 2 Backup servers scenario?

thanks!
rome1423
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:45 am 1 person likes this post

1. How do I assess the bandwidth needed for the Replication traffic ? I need info to apply for MPLS service.

The best option would be to run test replication cycles and see how much traffic is generated.

2. the 2 VB&R BkpSvr-A, BkpSvr-B cannot share Veeam components like proxies, repositories right? But use common Veeam license?

Components can be shared between two backup servers. However, one backup server won't be aware of the settings specified on another backup server, such maximum concurrent task number, etc.

3. Do I have to deploy 1 or more additional Proxies in Site A for BkpSvr-B to manage and do the replication?

No, you don't.

4. For DR Drill when whole site A unavailable, to use BkpSvr-B to do failover and start-up 8 VMs in site B.

Correct.

5. Any advice or best practice guide for this kind of 2 Backup servers scenario?

We seem to have covered it all.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby rome1423 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:11 pm

Components can be shared between two backup servers. However, one backup server won't be aware of the settings specified on another backup server, such maximum concurrent task number, etc.

- Do you mean:
i. BkpSvr-B can add the site A repository of BkpSvr-A to use for VM Backup Copy jobs, Replication jobs (use VM backups as Source) ?
ii. BkpSvr-B can also add and manage BkpSvr-A's same proxy servers into its own config, and use it for VM Backup Copy, Replication jobs ?
I thought that will cause conflict if both BkpSvr-A, BkpSvr-B access the same components , especially use them at same time, can you confirm that? Any Veeam document on this setup?

No, you don't.

- Ya if Veeam Components can be shared between two backup servers eg use same Proxy server then no need to deploy additional Proxies in Site A for BkpSvr-B..but pls confirm on Point 2 above.

Thanks.
rome1423
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:19 pm

- Do you mean:

The same backup proxy or repository server can be added to multiple backup servers. However, on each backup server it will have a different configuration settings.

i. BkpSvr-B can add the site A repository of BkpSvr-A to use for VM Backup Copy jobs, Replication jobs (use VM backups as Source) ?

Correct, however, backup server #2 won't be able to leverage files residing in this repository as a source for backup copy jobs (unless certain workarounds are leveraged).

ii. BkpSvr-B can also add and manage BkpSvr-A's same proxy servers into its own config, and use it for VM Backup Copy, Replication jobs ?

Correct.

I thought that will cause conflict if both BkpSvr-A, BkpSvr-B access the same components , especially use them at same time, can you confirm that?

The conflicts might arise during backup server update. Say, a proxy server gets updated during backup server #1 upgrade and cannot be longer managed by backup server #2 due to having higher component version.

Due to this fact and general unawareness among backup servers, that is considered a recommended approach.

Any Veeam document on this setup?

I don't think such document exists, but you can search through this forum - the setup has been discussed before.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby rome1423 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:29 am

Correct, however, backup server #2 won't be able to leverage files residing in this repository as a source for backup copy jobs (unless certain workarounds are leveraged).

a. How do we enable backup server #2 to leverage files residing in BkpSvr-A repository as a source for backup copy jobs?
I thought about getting BkpSvr-A to create a repository in Site B to use for BkpSvr-A backup copy jobs, then to let BkpSvr-B to use this Backup copies to do VM replication in Site B...any advice?

b. Can we create a File/Folder copy job to copy all the BkpSvr-A repository files/folder to BkpSvr-B repository, then let BkpSvr-B to use the copied files as source for VM replication job?

c. Will the File copy job only copy the difference between source and target repository folder to reduce WAN traffic?

Or any better suggestion to implement the Backup Copy or File Copy, Replication in this scenario is welcomed.
thanks.
rome1423
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:19 pm 2 people like this post

Or any better suggestion to implement the Backup Copy or File Copy, Replication in this scenario is welcomed.

The scenario described by you (though possible) looks overcomplicated. The best idea would be to stick to one backup server installed remotely and control everything from it. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby albertwt » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:03 pm

DaveWatkins wrote:You can do that, licensing is per CPU, so as long as all your CPU's are already licensed you can run as many servers as you like. Personally I replicate my Veeam B&R server to my DR site so if i need too I can power it up if the main site is down and just fix it's IP. I have physical proxies and repo's on each site but keeping the actual B&R a VM allows me to replicate it.

The other option is to just build a new server utilizing the configuration backup. I've always stayed away from running 2 servers since no there really is no linking except if you're using enterprise manager. The servers themselves aren't aware of each other and it makes upgrading more complicated as they all need to stay in sync since they will share proxies and repos

Dave, how do you replicate the Veeam Backup VM ? are you using the Veeam Replication or vSphere Replication to do that?
So the DR site Veeam is offline until you need it to turn it on :?:
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
albertwt
Expert

Liked: 20 times

Veeam Logoby DaveWatkins » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:01 am 2 people like this post

Using Veeam to replicate itself, and yes, offsite. If anything happens I'd need to manually power up the VM and change it's IP since I wouldn't be able to run the built in failover, but if we lose our core site for anything that requires me to break out the backups en-mass, that'll be the least of my worries ;)
DaveWatkins
Expert

Veeam Logoby albertwt » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:33 am

DaveWatkins wrote:Using Veeam to replicate itself, and yes, offsite. If anything happens I'd need to manually power up the VM and change it's IP since I wouldn't be able to run the built in failover, but if we lose our core site for anything that requires me to break out the backups en-mass, that'll be the least of my worries ;)

Nice strategy :D
so I assume after the DR testing, you just delete the Veeam Replicated VM and let the new replication re-seed the VM again ?
--
albertwt
Expert

Veeam Logoby DaveWatkins » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:02 pm 1 person likes this post

No, it's just keeps replicating always so in a real emergency it will be there available with minimal work
DaveWatkins
Expert

Veeam Logoby albertwt » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:12 pm

DaveWatkins wrote:No, it's just keeps replicating always so in a real emergency it will be there available with minimal work

Ah I see,
so whatever changes that you made in the Replicated DR VM, it will be overwritten by the next interval of Veeam Replication from production ?
--
albertwt
Expert

Veeam Logoby DaveWatkins » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:18 pm 1 person likes this post

Ahh, right it was specifically about DR testing. I typically roll it back to the previous snapshot afterwards
DaveWatkins
Expert

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication