Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jeff.richeson
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

DR site design

Post by jeff.richeson »

I apologize if this topic has already been discussed but I couldn't find my answer when I looked around. I have a small B&R all-in-one installation that sends backup copies to an off-site Linux repo via site-to-site VPN. I now have a Windows machine that is going to be at the off-site location. I've read that it might be best to have the console run from the off-site. What functions need to be installed where and how do I migrate to that new design? Here is what I want to support:
  • Ability to do restores if the primary site is down
  • Hot-add backups at the primary site
  • Backup copy and replication to DR site over WAN accelerator
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: DR site design

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

All of these requirements can be also met with a single Veeam B&R server instance deployed on the target site, this instance will orchestrate backup and restore tasks on both sites. You will need to have a virtual proxy server on production site in order to perform backups in HotAdd mode. You can also deploy WAN accelerator on the source site for running replication and backup copy jobs.

Thanks!
jeff.richeson
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by jeff.richeson »

Thank you. How do I go about migrating the single B&R server from my source site to the target site?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can use configuration backup/restore functionality for that. Just keep in mind that your current setup also allows for restoring in case the primary site is down - you just need to quickly fire up the new Veeam B&R instance (or keep a cold one in the second site) and import the backups there.