Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Damien1234
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jared Cowan

Email Notifications using App Registration

Post by Damien1234 »

We're currently using Veeam 12 and I want to setup email notifications from the VBR using Modern Authentication App Registration on the Microsoft o365 platform. I do not want to use an app password. Furthermore I can setup modern auth with a user account however the token eventually expires and emails are no longer sent which means I would have to login to the VBR every day to re-auth the token just to get backup notifications. IMHO, the best method is to use an app registration to send email notifications and step 4 of the instructions below suggest it is possible. I have gone down the rabbit hole of trying to make this work without success and even opened up support case #05975453. I would really like the ability to send email notifications via the app registration method and be provided with good instructions on how to do so. We implement Conditional Access and MFA for all of our clients and now Microsoft is about to force "Security Defaults" on everyone which is a good thing and app registrations/API's are the way to go is this modern world.

Thoughts anyone?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Email Notifications using App Registration

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I would have to login to the VBR every day to re-auth the token just to get backup notifications.
that sounds wrong. Doe the email notifications really fail, or do you only see this "authorization required" in the email settings?

That yellow exclamation mark and "authorization required" is a UI bug (468624) that will be fixed in an upcoming version. But sending emails still works works fine.

The "next, next, finish" way creates an enterprise application, which is visible in the "enterprise applications" blade in Azure Active Directory.

Best regards,
Hannes