Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
NerfHerder
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Enabling Guest File System Indexing

Post by NerfHerder »

Hello,
Still pretty new to Veeam here, so bear with me...

We went to perform a FLR for a document someone had deleted from a fileserver on accident. We had a heck of a time trying to find the document in order to restore it though. We kept having to start a restore process, select a restore point, drill in to the file system to see if we could fine the file... nope... not in that incremental... lets check another... and so on. The file was not in our full either (the document was likely created after the full was performed). Generally speaking, all of our backup jobs are forever forward incremental.

We need to improve on this, so I am looking at "Enable guest file system indexing" for our jobs. I am assuming that once I enable this, that I will want to run a full backup to get everything up to date? Also, once this is enabled, what should I expect from a FLR perspective? When I search for a file - a document that someone deleted, but doesn't know when it was created / last edited for example - will the search include all restore points? Will I be able to easily determine the most recent version of the file available in our backups?

Trying to get a solid understanding of how it will work... the documentation seems pretty brief on this...

Thanks in advance;
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Enabling Guest File System Indexing

Post by Gostev »

Hello,

No, full backup will not be required to start using the guest file system indexing.

Yes, you will be able to search for a document across all restore points that where created with indexing enabled, determine the most recent restore point that contains the document, and perform restore right from the search results.

Thanks!